PDA

View Full Version : eye colour orange or red? debate. to cull?

LORENZO
12-04-2008, 06:09 PM
Now this is worth a thought.. what is the red colour and what exactly is the orange colour... i think i have red eyes in the fish but maybe to some it would be orange. i was reading up on breeding. Now this rounded body shape...how do you cull baby discus if you are not familiar with body shapes in younger discus. I have one fish that i always thought had a slight deformity. A slight tuck in its bottom. But it is a very healthy fish. So i will let it thrive. But eye colour is there really no other preferred colour than red??? the diamond has very red. But red melon does not. Could red melon be defective? And this turquoise colour well one fish is bluer than the other and one looks a reddish turquoise. And are not the stripes on those turquoise supposed to fade with age. How does a first time breeder catch defects... and anyway the babies would be healthy. They argue mutts are living longer than purebreds.hahhah but really the books are just soo specialized sometimes that this does not need to be as daunting as they are making it out to be. These fish are hardy buggers. the books would have you believe that everyday i should be taking out 50% of the water! I don't think i am going to s tart to cull fish early.

Northernguy
12-04-2008, 07:12 PM
I found this that may help explain some of what you are asking .
http://www.discusnada.org/discus/classification.html
There is nothing about the eyes ,unless I missed it.I have never read anything about the eyes before.I am curious!