PDA

View Full Version : Bad News Betta

Wild Turkey
12-04-2008, 05:42 PM
Time for an update on the betta.

I finally caved and gave him his own ten gallon, i might divide it in half later but for now, hes got more room than he knows what to do with.

Also found out what type he is, a White(not albino) Veil Tail

Now for the bad news.

Remember how i said he was white with a black head?
Wrong. Its fungus. There was just so much of it that it appeared to be the fishes natural color, ive only noticed now as it is starting to go away. However, he does have quite a bit of it sticking from his gills that is now noticeable.

He also has a hole in his lip that i can now see, its small and almost looks like a hole from a hook(????) I dont think its HITH, but it has me worried, because it looks like there is one on each side. Is this normal? Part of his anatomy?

The good news is hes improving i guess, just seems was in even worse shape than i thought. I'll try to snap some pics of him today

Edit: Also i got more betta food for him, and special betta water conditioner. Does he need this? Will regular conditioner hurt him? They were out of BettaFix unfortunately.

Northernguy
12-04-2008, 07:05 PM
Dam! That sounds pretty bad.
Mine had the beginning stages of fungus ,I guess when I got him.
All i used was a bit of salt and water changes every couple of days.
Here are some pics of him.It did get worse before it got better but it only took a few days before showing signs of improvement.Fungus grows fast!

DragonGoby
12-04-2008, 07:21 PM
Regular conditioner work well with Betta, we use Aquaplus for our little buddy.
What's your temp in the tank? You want to increase it around 82 F and a little more...

As for the food, what do you give him? We give some daphnia, frozen bloodworm and brine shrimp, some plankton... Lots of various diet because he's finicky...
Try to put lots of plant too, it'll help lower his stress...

Best of luck!

Wild Turkey
12-04-2008, 07:45 PM
Right now i have betta pellets, and betta flake.
I have bloodworms, brine shrimp, wafers, pellets, regular flake, and various whole shrimp, but i havent been feeding it any of that stuff yet.

Do they like it that warm, or is that just a suggestion because hes sick?

Algenco
12-04-2008, 08:23 PM
betta's naturally inhabit very shallow water in tropical zones, they are accustomed to high temps

Wild Turkey
12-04-2008, 08:24 PM
Thanks for he clarify Al

betta_Mike
12-08-2008, 12:40 AM
Didn't see your updated post before I replied to your original one. Check it out if you'd like, there is a link to a wonderful betta website. As for warmth they like it fairly warm, 80 or so degrees. My tank sits around there and Copernicus seems happy. I feed mine Hikari Betta Bio Gold pellets which he gobbles right up, but brine shrimp and the like are popular choices as well. Hope the website I posted helps, and g'luck mate!

link to betta diseases/care
http://www.bettatalk.com/betta_diseases.htm

p.s.

I use API stress coat water conditioner and it doesn't seem to hurt anything