PDA

View Full Version : Kenyi maturity size?

FPiX
12-04-2008, 07:11 AM
Hi
I read that male Kenyis will turn yellow/golden when they mature. At what size do they generally mature?

Thanks

AquaBANG
12-04-2008, 09:59 AM
this depends on the number of fish you have. Also the feed. I have seen them change color and (sex) after they have gotten bigger about 4''.

Northernguy
12-04-2008, 02:22 PM
Hi
I read that male Kenyis will turn yellow/golden when they mature. At what size do they generally mature?

Thanks

Here is a little more info for you:http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=830+831+920&pcatid=920

kaybee
12-04-2008, 11:00 PM
Males will transform prior to maxing out at full size. There are a number of factors which can effect exactly when this color shift occurs (one prominent factor would be the presence of fully mature males already in the tank).

...I have seen them change color and (sex) after they have gotten bigger about 4''.

Additionally, the transformation is pattern change only, not gender change.

sanddigger
12-06-2008, 05:00 AM
The male Kenyii I had a few years ago had turned yellow at 3". By the time he was 5" and gurthie, he was a terror. Just a warning, they do get nastier as they get older.

kaybee
12-06-2008, 02:04 PM
Yep, definately one of the most aggressive mbuna species around.

FPiX
12-08-2008, 09:30 AM
Thanks for the replies.

Right now, it is purple and constantly chasing around the red cichlid. When the red one stops moving, the purple one will slowly approach and shimmy? around the red one. But the red one always runs away after the purple one shimmies.

Can I assume that the purple one is a male from this?