PDA

View Full Version : Invert advice

C-Dub
12-03-2008, 11:13 PM
Hey all! As usual I want to add something to my 54gal. All the residents of the tank can be found in my signature.

I just picked up 3 mystery snails and I enjoy watching them, all 3 seem to have picked one plant to hang out on that reaches the surface. I have never kept any sort of invert. before and was wondering how much of a bio load they produce? It seems to me like 3 isn't enough (im never satisfied). Soooo, basically can I add more? Or do they reproduce as quickly as those little brown hitchhiker snails? Also is there any other cool type of shrimp or crab that would work with the residents of my tank??? Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Keep in mind I have a 10gal sump with a DIY filter using all the internal parts of a fluval 305 on the end of my pump bypass line. Also a filter sock on my waste line, and a pond-pump that pumps 950gal an hour.

Obelisk
02-23-2009, 06:28 PM
In my experience, mystery snails have a surprisingly high bioload. With mystery snails, it's pretty easy to control their numbers because they lay their eggs in bunches above the water line.

Bamboo shrimps and amano shrimps are pretty cool. I'd recommend the good ol ghost shrimp, but I think some of those fish would make a meal out of them. Dwarf crays are supposedly peaceful. I have one myself, but I don't have any bottom dwellers in with him either, so I'm not sure if he would attack cories given the chance.

Algenco
02-23-2009, 07:03 PM
In my experience, mystery snails have a surprisingly high bioload. With mystery snails, it's pretty easy to control their numbers because they lay their eggs in bunches above the water line.

Bamboo shrimps and amano shrimps are pretty cool. I'd recommend the good ol ghost shrimp, but I think some of those fish would make a meal out of them. Dwarf crays are supposedly peaceful. I have one myself, but I don't have any bottom dwellers in with him either, so I'm not sure if he would attack cories given the chance.

yep, what he said thumbs2: