PDA

View Full Version : pleco behavior. Only come out at night?

JaredCBell
12-03-2008, 08:19 PM
So my 4 inch pleco NEVER EVER comes out in the day time... He is always in the same couple spots underneath my true/stump/root thing but as soon as I turn off the light in the aquarium, he starts swimming around everywhere! Its actually quite funny. Like last night, I turned off the light and waited...it was pitch black in the house, couldnt see anything. Then after about 5 minutes, i turned the light in the aquarium on and he was swimming about the sand, sifting and feeling through it. But after about 3 seconds, he BOLTED to his spot under the root/true/stump thing!

Is this normal behavior? Are they strictly nocturnal?

here is his setup for now:

http://img117.imageshack.us/my.php?image=picture004js1.jpg

abaigael04
12-03-2008, 08:34 PM
Plecos are nocturnal - completely normal. You should make sure you feed him at night because of this. :c3:

Northernguy
12-03-2008, 10:03 PM
I do not feed my pleco until the room is blacked right out.
Its the only time the Oscars let him eat!
Agreed with above ,They are nocturnal.
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/catfish/pleco.php

digital3
12-03-2008, 10:16 PM
If you want to check him out at night, maybe you could look into getting moonlights for your aquarium. They have different sizes and it makes your tank look cool at night.

I have one, and I love it...

pbucch
12-04-2008, 02:44 PM
Mines the opposite it seems, he hides all day, with the lights off in my room, but when I turn the lights on at night he comes out. Priobably because all the piranhas are hiding during the day.

Northernguy
12-04-2008, 02:50 PM
Mines the opposite it seems, he hides all day, with the lights off in my room, but when I turn the lights on at night he comes out. Priobably because all the piranhas are hiding during the day.
This what we are saying.Nocturnal means they come out at night!:c3:

LosC
12-24-2008, 08:31 AM
If you feed during the day and not at night it will force the Pleco to come out during the day to eat.

johnpeezy
12-25-2008, 12:45 AM
If you feed during the day and not at night it will force the Pleco to come out during the day to eat.

incorrect, it will not force your pleco out during the day.

LosC
12-25-2008, 06:49 AM
incorrect, it will not force your pleco out during the day.

It sure will, does for me and I've seen it with others as well.

Wild Turkey
12-25-2008, 06:56 AM

I dont agree, true or not. Forcing the fish to eat at a time it does not wish to venture out of hiding, is obviously stressful and i wouldnt recommend it.

LosC
12-25-2008, 07:02 AM
I dont agree, true or not. Forcing the fish to eat at a time it does not wish to venture out of hiding, is obviously stressful and i wouldnt recommend it.

The premium and live foods should make up for that. I can't always feed every night, I make sure they eat during the day. My Pleco hasn't shown signs of illness or stress. I've had em for almost a year now, he looks healthy. Doesn't make me incorrect but maybe disagreeable to some.

Wild Turkey
12-25-2008, 07:07 AM
Doesn't make me incorrect but maybe disagreeable to some.

W3rd. "correct" methods are a rarity in the hobby, and agreements even more rare, hehe:19:

johnpeezy
12-25-2008, 07:45 AM
It depeneds more in the specific pleco rather more then anything else.

My blue panaque refuses to come out in light no matter when I feed him.

where as all three of my L204's buzz around the tank at any time during the day, until you approach the tank.

my royal pleco dosen't leave his piece of wood even though hes right in the front of the tank.

and my blue phantom pleco is another one who stay hidden during the daylight hours.

feeding my plecos during the day time does not force them to come out during the day. Plain and simple they come out when they want to and only when they want to.

dancethenparty
12-25-2008, 07:45 AM
i don't think arguring whether or not the fish will come if fed during day is going to led to some great help for JaredCBell. the fish is the fish. it has a personality, and it will decide when it comes out and when it eats. of course the fact of whether it's noturnal or not comes into play as well.and also it's enviroment, tank mates, etc.

Wild Turkey
12-25-2008, 08:11 AM
i don't think arguring whether or not the fish will come if fed during day is going to led to some great help for JaredCBell.

I disagree, his question was answered in the first few posts quite well. Discussing different methods and opinions is what helps posters, and is the point of a forum, IMO. All i see is a debate, not even a heated one at that.

lovleeko
12-25-2008, 10:52 AM
LOL. Three things you can't talk about on a forum without arguing about, religion, politics and plecos eating during the day. :hmm3grin2orange:

I disagree, his question was answered in the first few posts quite well. Discussing different methods and opinions is what helps posters, and is the point of a forum, IMO. All i see is a debate, not even a heated one at that.

Wild Turkey
12-25-2008, 04:36 PM
LOL. Three things you can't talk about on a forum without arguing about, religion, politics and plecos eating during the day. :hmm3grin2orange:

LOL great one lovthumbs2:

nyquil junkie
01-04-2009, 04:26 AM
mine used to be like that. I hardly ever saw the thing.
now he is bigger he's always out nosing around.