PDA

View Full Version : Water worms

scruffy
12-03-2008, 05:52 AM
The other night, I received a shock after a water change. I was wiping out a piece of fish poop from a waste water bucket, when I saw it move by itself.

This evening, I was cleaning a different tank and I vaccuumed up three more of these guys. They look and move a lot like young earth worms, except they seem to do best under water. What are these creatures? Are these harmful to my fish? They really give me the willies.

S

Gemini
12-03-2008, 06:42 AM
Are they in the gravel? Or in the water itself?
What colour are they?
How big are they?
Are they round or flat?

scruffy
12-03-2008, 11:19 PM
I think the worms live in the gravel since I only seem to find them when I'm cleaning the gravel. I might have seen one slapped on one of my intake tubes, but that could have been poop. The worms are round and dark red and tapered at both ends. At rest, they hunch up to about 1/2 and inch and when swimming they are about 2 or 3. I'm a little too squeamish to measure them.

Width-wise - hunched up they are as wide as poop from a fish that has not overeaten, extended, like poop from a fish that has over-indulged and is a little constipated.

S

Gemini
12-04-2008, 12:52 AM
They sound like detritus worms. They often exist in tanks - often as a result of over feeding. They are totally harmless. If you get some bottom feeding fish like Corys they wont' be there much longer...

Wild Turkey
12-04-2008, 12:56 AM
Yup, planaria. They are a result of over feeding and or / not vacuuming the gravel well enough when you do weekly water changes.

Alfcea
12-04-2008, 01:42 AM
Yes, I agree with the previous posters. Usually, worms are the result of feeding too much... perhaps you should start feeding less food or not as frequently?

scruffy
12-04-2008, 04:52 AM
Thanks folks. Believe me when I first saw one of them move, I thought I was hallucinating! I read a bit about these guys and they actually are related to earthworms. So are tubifex. I'm kind of surprised my goldfish hadn't eaten them. They've eaten every pond snail I've put in there. My brother in his wife are into vermiculture. Do you think that these worms might have the same benefits for aquarium plants?
S

Northernguy
12-04-2008, 03:31 PM
Every tank has them!As stated before they are from over feeding and not vacuuming enough.
What is your water change schedule?
Feed your fish enough food to consume in 2 minutes and remove the rest after they eat!

scruffy
12-04-2008, 07:43 PM
I change and vacuum the goldfish tank once a week. I have 4 comets ranging from about 5 inches to 8 inches and one blackmoore about 3 inches in a 55 gallon. I feed them a good sized pinch of gold fish crisps or pellets twice a day. I change my 42 hex about twice a week and my 20 gallon fry tank and 10 gallon hospital tank every 2 or 3 days. I've got a ton of live bearers which I feed 3 times a day.

Actually, I don't mind the worms as long as they aren't parasites.

S

C-Dub
12-04-2008, 07:45 PM
Every tank has them!As stated before they are from over feeding and not vacuuming enough.
What is your water change schedule?
Feed your fish enough food to consume in 2 minutes and remove the rest after they eat!

This is certainly no shot at you northernguy as we are buddys but i've never understood that. I mean how on earth are you supposed to remove flakes or lets say brine shrimp from a tank after 2-3 minutes??? lol