PDA

View Full Version : Sand vs Gravel

ajblbv
12-03-2008, 04:37 AM
Soooo, I am still a newbie to be gentle if I say something stupid or contradictory.... :)

What are the pros and cons of gravel vs sand? It seems to be sand winning out for both planting and maintenance, and a few snails could keep it clean. Now I have read about gravel vacuums, is there something similar to clean sand? Sand seems infinitely easier to me than messing with gravel, but I admittedly haven't physically messed with either or looked at costs of either.

At what point in my fishless cycling do I want to put this in? Still new to the whole levels of each thing so working on that.

Thanks guys.

teach
12-03-2008, 05:02 AM
First off welcome to AC. Sand is my personal favorite its super easy to clean you just use a regular syphon style grave vac and hold it right above the sand and itll suck it up. and if you use play sand it is much cheaper. As for the fishless cycle it is the best way to go there is a sticky about it in beginner freshwater i believe. you will be much happier with sand and fishless cycle

JaredCBell
12-03-2008, 05:27 AM
I used gravel for a very very long time and all I can say is ever since I changed to sand, my life has been SO much easier. Plus, it looks so darn cool. The most important thing when considered sand is getting the RIGHT sand.

I got 100lbs of Silica 30 grit sand from Lowes for 6 or 7 bucks. Washed it, put it in, filled up the tank, let the tank sit for about a day, then turned on my super aquaclear 70, tank was crystal clear in about half a day.

Do sand. your fish will love you!

*just be careful when cleaning or moving stuff around that when you do kick up sand, it doesnt get in the filter. Turn it off when doing siphoning and make sure you get a very course grit of sand. anything above 30, IMO, is to lite and floats in the water too long.

Northernguy
12-03-2008, 06:02 AM
Soooo, I am still a newbie to be gentle if I say something stupid or contradictory.... :)

What are the pros and cons of gravel vs sand? It seems to be sand winning out for both planting and maintenance, and a few snails could keep it clean. Now I have read about gravel vacuums, is there something similar to clean sand? Sand seems infinitely easier to me than messing with gravel, but I admittedly haven't physically messed with either or looked at costs of either.

At what point in my fishless cycling do I want to put this in? Still new to the whole levels of each thing so working on that.

Thanks guys.

I prefer the more natural look of sand!It is a better substrate for planting in.Este's aquarium sand is the easiest and probably the best but there are cheaper sands.
Snails are more for moving the sand around to prevent gas pockets from building up.Gas bubbles are bad!
You still use the same tool for vacuuming your sand you just hover over the top .
Add the sand and water but read this before you start your tank:http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=5781
And the free Ebook on the left.
Glad you are doing your homework. Post some pics when you get it started!

Fishguy2727
12-03-2008, 12:59 PM
Sand.

There is a whole article on sand in my blog, you may want to check it out. I think it answers all your questions.

Sir Tristen
12-03-2008, 05:03 PM
I have sand too and love it. Links to my tanks are in my sig for you to see what it looks like. I got 20 grit silica from a local diy store, and 100 pounds only cost me around 6. The only drawback I see is that it is a little on the white side for my preference, but you can't beat the price and it is a bigger grit than play sand so it doesn't compact as much.

bushwhacker
12-03-2008, 08:05 PM
sand all the way 3.70 for a 50# bag at my local ace hardware. easy to clean and has been said its such a natural look. as for when to add it right now is good when you first start to cycle that will give ya plenty of time for the sand to settle before you add fish

Demi ^_^
12-03-2008, 11:21 PM
I ahve never tried sand (Want too in future)

But I ahve to say that I have had NO complaints with my gravel! It looks clean, natural and looks very nice :)) My gravel is pretty small (5mm) and my Corys and Loaches LOVE it! They are always frisking and frolicking in the gravel. Digging it up and wiggling themselves into it, foragging for food ;))

Goodluck with your tank!