PDA

View Full Version : Agassizi dwarf ? compared to bolivian rams

LORENZO
12-03-2008, 12:13 AM
:goldfish: How do these agassizi dwarf cichlids compare in beauty to the Bolivian Ram? Are they really not aggressive? I have tried Rams and well not luck they die off after a year. But this Agassi dwarf can take a ph of 5-7 can it? Very curious they would make a nice addition to angel tank?

Dave66
12-03-2008, 12:20 AM
It would have to be a large tank, Lorenzo, like a 200 gallon, and it'd have to be well-planted with live plants, driftwood, and stones, to pull off your plan. Reasons being both species are rather territorial, and you'll need the space so the future colony of Apistos and the future colony of Angelfish don't conflict. Agassizi dwarves do need a pH under 7.0 even down to 4.5, and very soft, but with occasional live food, I've found them quite hardy, and live roughly 5 or six years.

Both species form nuclear families with their offspring. Would be a lovely tank with those two Cichlid species and a large school of larger Tetras.

Dave

LORENZO
12-06-2008, 11:03 PM
:fish: so those agassi chichlids are liking the water acidic and soft. now a bigger tank you say.... they could go in the one i have but maybe another one for them. they last around 6 years did you say? Like kribs.. you know that colourful. But to find one that likes the water acidic and soft would be excellent. i would have to do nothing with the water. jUst you want to keep as many different fish as you can. I am liking the look of lady hobbs parrot fish. Now that little fishy -not so little-is cute. Strange looking they are but cute. hmmmm

William
12-06-2008, 11:24 PM
My experience is that agassi chichlids is more sensitive than german or bolivian rams and more aggresive as well.

LORENZO
12-07-2008, 12:00 AM
Strange ...rams i found delicate I never had luck with them. But then I decided to go with kribs. I had them for a long time and let them breed. WEll one day i found a bunch of babies i never knew were in the big tank and i had to dismantle the whole thing. So no more kribs. i miss them. But you think the agassizii are too agressive... it is difficult to get the good balance. I bought some nice harlequins today they are doing well. OFf the topic what do you think is a good plant for substrate? My hair grass never took ...but then again i do not have any c02. Now I am learning that Flourish Excel will be good enough. We shall see. Anubias do well and javas. Swords are fine right now not too much brown algae on them. i am sticking to only the omega pellets to see if this makes a difference.

William
12-07-2008, 12:02 AM
not necessarily too aggressive. They usually do well with angels but they are ore aggressive than rams.

kribs are nice and very hardy. Much more so than both rams and apistos.

Jellygirl
01-06-2009, 08:51 PM
Hi there,

In my experience I have found bolivian rams more hardier than german blue rams and of the easily obtainable apistos the aggies more sensitive than say the cacs. My water conditions are probably harder to get right though than yours - so good luck with your choices.

Jellygirl

Fishalicious
01-06-2009, 08:55 PM
i agree that aggies are more aggressive than rams or some other dwarf cichlids....some females can be REAL naughty at breeding time. i have always found them more territorial than some other dwarfs

NickFish
01-12-2009, 09:20 PM
Bolivian rams are one of the hardiest dwarf cichlids out there. If you are having problems with them I'd would feel better if we corrected the situation or find out what is going wrong before you get something twice as sensitive.

What is your tank size and parameters? Feeding and water change scedule?