PDA

View Full Version : New betta

Wild Turkey
12-02-2008, 06:19 PM
So i finally got suckered into rescuing a betta the other day, spite me always saying a never would.

Its such a double edged sword, you know? One part of me wants to save a betta from its cup-prison, but the logical man in me knows the im just contributing to the consumption of the bettas which is really the only reason they are sold in the first place.

ANYWAYS! lol

Hes a male, white with a black face. Hes starting to blush up now that i have had him for a few days. He eats with ferocity, and seems to already recognize me. Is this normal? I would think bettas would have pretty bad eye sight, but he seems to be quite aware of whats going on in the room, and really pays me a lot more attention than i pay him.

He has considerable fin damage, which i kinda expected when i bought a betta in a cup. The fin damage is already repairing itself, but im not sure if it completely heal or not, wish him luck I guess! I already added a small amount of melafix.

CephalopodLover
12-02-2008, 06:52 PM
Good luck with your new betta !

Northernguy
12-02-2008, 07:10 PM
Did you put in a 10gal.? No pics yet eh!
I wouldn't add anything to the water yet! The one I bought was in the same shape.I think just giving it a home will make it happy enough to heal on its own. I put mine in a 10 and it perked right up!It dances all over the front of the tank when i walk in the room.I also put 5 neons and an apple snail in with it and have never had a problem.No nipping ,nothing at all.
I was also told that Beta Fix is best for Betas ,but I have never tried it.

Kathyd
12-02-2008, 08:04 PM
It's so much fun to watch a drab pet store betta really come to life when he gets good water and food! Good luck with him!

Poofaye C.
12-02-2008, 09:01 PM
Never say never huh. Had you at hello?
Good for you W.T. I know what you're saying about contributing to the problem, but look at it this way, this one little guy is better off right? This is going to sound kind of fu fu, but I think it's true. If everyone in the world would commit to just one act of random kindness a day, think of what kind of world that would be. Sure, sure, the world would still be out of wack and everyone would need an old fashioned a!! kick'in every now and then, but it would be better.
As for the Bettas, ohh yeah, there famous for acting all crazy and making people fall in love with them!

Wild Turkey
12-02-2008, 09:26 PM
Thanks for the tips and support guys! NG you think i should wc some of that mela out? Its running a sponge filter so it wont go anywhere unless i wc it out. But i only added about 5 drops.

Right now ive got him in that 2.5, and if he out grows (or the plants outgrow) his tank i can always move him to yet another 10g. Im considering building a rack for 4-5 of them soon, to stack vertically.

Ive heard of the beta med stuff, dont know anything about it though any info/opinions are welcome, save me from having to make another thread. :)

invadertoast
12-02-2008, 10:40 PM
Congrats and you'll be amazed at what clean water will do for him! Two of my three boys will come out and flare at anybody in the room, my third one only comes out if it's just me in the room. They're definately aware of what goes on around them!

As for that betta med, are you talking about "Bettafix" that comes in a fish shaped bottle? If so, my aunt had one of her females get stuck under a rock and scrape herself pretty badly. The wound started to grow a fuzzy fungus but a couple days isolated with bettafix fixed her right up.

Northernguy
12-02-2008, 11:23 PM
Yes a small water change. I have heard that betas cannot handle other meds and that beta fix is designed specifcally for them.Apparently they are different.
I did have a fungus problem once and I put him in a 3gal. i have with heat and no filter.I added 1 small tea spoon of salt every other day with a 50% w/cs.He healed beautifully.Salt is a great cure when used properly.
I still haven't bought any betafix yet but I will if I ever need to.lol

lovleeko
12-03-2008, 12:21 AM
My bettas all took to me really fast. They are notorious for getting all in my way while trying to do stuff in their tank. They always seem to want to come up and get all in my way trying to see what I'm doing. They dont mind when I touch them. They are just great little fish. I am in love with them. My bettas who are in community tanks are always the ones left hanging around when everyone else is taking cover.

I have read a lot of bad stuff recently about meds and bettas since the whole bleeding hearts incident. So I would water change it out if I were you. I had a thread about that recently. As bad as I hate to have experience with ripped fins, with the whole betta sorority bust I was conducting, I do. And I find their fins do grow all the way back. Though sometimes the color patterns change a bit. But you didn't know what he looked like before so I guess you wont know :) And I have never added anything to their tank. I just clean the water a lot. Since my bettas are not in cycled tanks except the community bettas. Anyway, good for you WT! And pay that betta attention!! LOL

Red
12-03-2008, 12:53 AM
Wild Turkey + Betta= LOVE :)

Cassandra
12-03-2008, 12:56 AM
Yes a small water change. I have heard that betas cannot handle other meds and that beta fix is designed specifcally for them.Apparently they are different.
I did have a fungus problem once and I put him in a 3gal. i have with heat and no filter.I added 1 small tea spoon of salt every other day with a 50% w/cs.He healed beautifully.Salt is a great cure when used properly.
I still haven't bought any betafix yet but I will if I ever need to.lol

I agree about the salt...Hercules had abit of fin rot and ten minutes after adding salt to the water i noticed him perk right up and the salt worked wonders for his fins.

Cassandra
12-03-2008, 01:03 AM
So i finally got suckered into rescuing a betta the other day, spite me always saying a never would.

Right now ive got him in that 2.5, and if he out grows (or the plants outgrow) his tank i can always move him to yet another 10g. Im considering building a rack for 4-5 of them soon, to stack vertically.

haha your first post said you rescued one after saying you never would...now youre talking about having 4 or 5 lol! funny how that happens... every time i go to a lfs i wish i could save them all...good luck with your lil guy.

Wild Turkey
12-03-2008, 01:36 AM
LOL well i meant 4 or 5 ten gallons, i already have three, another for the betta would make four, so a vertical shelf unit for them would be a serious space saver. But yes, i am becoming quite fond of the little guy.

Northernguy
12-03-2008, 04:57 AM
Wild Turkey + Betta= LOVE :)

LMAO :hmm3grin2orange: Still LMAO thumbs2: That was Funny !
WT ,Betas have huge amounts of personality.If they were a larger fish they would be a lot more popular!:c3:

Corndawg
12-03-2008, 05:22 AM
Hes a male, white with a black face. Hes starting to blush up now that i have had him for a few days. He eats with ferocity, and seems to already recognize me. Is this normal? I would think bettas would have pretty bad eye sight, but he seems to be quite aware of whats going on in the room, and really pays me a lot more attention than i pay him

When I bought my betta, he was a pretty dark red. After 3-4 days of having him, he got bright red, with a pinkish metallic shine. I havent been able 2 get him to eat very much still. Gonna try some bloodworms maybe. I think he knows me because everytime Im at my computer (hes next to my moniter like a foot from me) he swims at very front of tank, either "dancing" or swiming franticly back and forth or up and down. Think that just means he wants his mirror, he goes nuts on that thing, and seems to like it. I dont know what he does when all the lights are off, but when he can see me, hes constantly active. Ill put up a video sometime soon of what he acts like.

Wild Turkey
12-03-2008, 11:08 AM
I dont plan on force flaring mine until the fins heal, i have a perfect mirror for it though, it sits flat as is the same height and width as the front of his tank :)

betta_Mike
12-08-2008, 12:06 AM
Hey Wild Turkey,

If you're a first time betta owner I highly recommend you http://www.bettatalk.com/. Its a great website maintained by a Betta enthusiast and has all the info you need in caring for a betta especially in area of meds. As for his personality, its pretty normal that he has started to recognize you so don't be alarmed if he goes ape s@&! when your around because he is probably looking for a snack lol. And the flaring with ripped fins, I don't know if it would be a bad thing or not because flaring is usually a sign of good health in bettas so I don't think it would do him any harm. Good luck mate!