PDA

View Full Version : Could I keep?

CephalopodLover
12-02-2008, 01:56 PM
I was wondering if I could get a few freshwater crabs for my 55 gallon tanks that in my sigg. I don't know what kind they are but they are at petco if that helps.
Thanks!

pbucch
12-02-2008, 02:22 PM
I think they prefer more brackish conditions but give it a try.

cocoa_pleco
12-02-2008, 03:30 PM
theyre brackish and they need some land

Northernguy
12-02-2008, 04:34 PM
Aren't FW crabs crayfish.
They are really good at catching sleeping or resting fish.They eat fish as well as eat debris from the tank floor.

terrapin24h
12-02-2008, 05:05 PM
Aren't FW crabs crayfish.
They are really good at catching sleeping or resting fish.They eat fish as well as eat debris from the tank floor.

fw crabs are fw crabs...fw lobster are crayfish, crawdads, yabby, etc.

Our local petsupermarket has them in a tank where they have no land and they seem ok. They are however in a tank with fast moving top dwellers and appear fairly young.

--chris

CephalopodLover
12-02-2008, 05:13 PM
The ones at petco do have any land too.

Northernguy
12-02-2008, 06:54 PM
Sorry I was thinking about crayfish.
I found some info on FW red claw crabs.http://wrongcrowd.com/staticpages/index.php?page=crab
I didn't find much else about crabs! lol

Nobodynotime
12-02-2008, 07:23 PM
The FW crabs at petco are supposed to be kept in brackish waters with atleast something to rest out of the water. The crabs at petco are very weak b/c they are not kept in brackish water and will eventually die a premature death if not put in brackish water b/c the salt content of the water helps to harden the shell of the crabs. I'd recommend a crayfish only if your tank has large enough fish to escape its grasps.

Fishalicious
12-02-2008, 08:25 PM
I had...had being the word a Sesarma Bidens in a community tank. I lowered the water and had a rock formation sticking out of the water as they really do need some land for now and again. These little guys are the houdini's of the world...even the littlest opening where the filter tubes come in are enough for them to escape... they climb up the cables that hang in the tank. They nip fish at night that are on the ground (let's face it nearly all fish sleep on the flooring) and they like to snip your stem plants at the base so you can find them floating all the time....

After mine escaping for the third time even after having taped the tank up and 3 days of searching nearly everytime...the floating dead plants and nipped fins on the fish I gave up and gave him away to someone who wanted to keep a all species tank of crabs.

CephalopodLover
12-02-2008, 08:32 PM
Thanks for all the info !
I don't think I'll get some.

Northernguy
12-02-2008, 09:11 PM
Thanks for all the info !
I don't think I'll get some.

What size tank are you looking at getting?
I really wouldn't be putting anything else in the tanks you have now.
I was just curious.

CephalopodLover
12-02-2008, 09:32 PM
Could I keep a few in a 5 gallon?

Fishalicious
12-02-2008, 11:00 PM
I wouldn't keep one in less than 10 gallons and then on it's own... they fight like mad in groups - especially if you have 2 males.

Good info:
http://badmanstropicalfish.com/profiles/profile101.html

CephalopodLover
12-02-2008, 11:17 PM
Thanks! I think I want to get another crayfish instead!:19: