PDA

View Full Version : dwarf angel fish questions

melbfish20
12-02-2008, 10:01 AM
just a few dwarf angel questions

are dawrf angel fish reef safe ?

how aggresive are they ? will they eat or pick on smaller fish and invertebrates ?

do they need mature tanks ?

are they picky eaters ?

is it one per tank just like the larger angels ?

thanks for the help

Fishguy2727
12-02-2008, 01:03 PM
Generally it is one per tank.

Almost all are far from reef safe. The ones that are reef safe are ugly (in angels terms) and are just gray, with some black stripes and maybe a tad of yellow.

Some species are a lot more challenging than others. Any time you buy marine fish you want to make sure they have settled in (been at the LFS for preferably at least 2 weeks) and are eating (don't just ask, watch them eat).

They do not necessarily need a VERY mature tank the way an anemone does, but they need it mature just like other fish (cycled, live rock cured and producing some natural food, etc.). So it doesn't have to be up for a year, but don't rush it.

ILuvMyGoldBarb
12-08-2008, 08:08 PM
Almost all are far from reef safe. The ones that are reef safe are ugly (in angels terms) and are just gray, with some black stripes and maybe a tad of yellow.

Not sure where you got that info. The Centropyge genus is full of reef safe angels and they are all quite attractive fish. All of the following angels belong to the Centropyge genus and are generally reef safe and everyone of them has absolutely stunning color.
Flame Angels
Coral Beauties
Atlantic Pygmy
Bicolor Angel
Potter's Angel
African Flameback
Rusty Angel
Shepard's Pygmy

You may find the occasional specimen that will nip at LPS polyps or Clam Mantels but for the most part they are absolutely fine.

unleashed
12-08-2008, 08:16 PM
ditto with Gold Barb

Most species of the 27-33 known species of centropyge/paracentropyge sp. are very reef safe. As with all angels, some individuals may nip but rarely do too much damage. However, all dwarf angels IMO are very aggressive to members of the same species and species within the centropyge/paracentropyge sp. genus. If you wish to add more than one dwarf angel, you will need a very large tank with lots of live rock and the angels will need to be added at the same time

GynMonkey1044
12-09-2008, 05:06 AM
The centropyge/paracentropyge species often get called reef safe but they frequently are not. Many times it can depend on the individual fish. Most will nip at lps,sps and zoos and almost all will nip at clam mantles. The only family that is completly reef safe are the genicanthus species such as the lamarcks and the watanabes. While they are black and white like fishguy said they are not by any means ugly and I find the lamarcks paticularly attractive.

unleashed
12-09-2008, 05:13 AM
The centropyge/paracentropyge species often get called reef safe but they frequently are not. Many times it can depend on the individual fish.

I completely disagree. I have kept many centropyge angels, as well as the multibarred (a paracentropyge). None have ever nipped. In fact, not one of my friends nip either. My local LFS also keeps centropyge in their display tanks and also in the coral sale tanks, none of those nip.

While it does come down to the individual fish, frequent feedings to keep the angels well fed and to take away boredom - both of which can lead to nipping

However, I do agree that Geniacanthus sp. are the only truly reef-safe angel

ILuvMyGoldBarb
12-09-2008, 05:23 AM
I'm with unleashed 100% on this one. I've seen a lot of Centropyge angels kept tanks with soft corals as well as stony corals and I've never once seen one nip at any of them. The number of individual specimens is very low, it is not a "frequent" thing at all.

Fishguy2727
12-09-2008, 03:38 PM
That's what I thought. It varies but if you really get down to it there is some risk with the ones mentioned. I think it has a lot to do with tank size. A huge tank will 1-provide more natural foods for them, and 2-spread out any nipping that does occur.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and although they are not UGLY, the truly reef safe angels are not exactly the strikingly beautiful and colorful fish people get in to marine and reefs for. In comparison to most other angels they are 'less attractive'.

ILuvMyGoldBarb
12-09-2008, 04:34 PM
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and although they are not UGLY, the truly reef safe angels are not exactly the strikingly beautiful and colorful fish people get in to marine and reefs for. In comparison to most other angels they are 'less attractive'.
Quite true. Probably one of the most colorful Genicanthus species is the G. melanospilos. The lack of vibrant colors is easily understandable though. The Genicanthus genus is generally found at much greater depths than are the others. Some members of this genus are found as deep as 300 feet. That is very deep for reef species.

snapdragon9
12-14-2008, 10:25 PM
I once had a bicolor angel, he looked great at the lfs and he did eat...however he died within four days in my tank which has excellent water quality, (all params at zero) he was very shy even with tons of mature LR...he didn't eat after an offering of rods reef food, mysis, and live brine...these fish are wild caught I presume...this also adds to the acclimation process becoming a little more difficult.