PDA

View Full Version : What's up with my heater?

Glasstapper
01-22-2007, 09:45 PM
I bought a Top Fin submersible heater rated for up to 30 gallons (150 watts) for my 29 gallon aquarium. That little "on" light stays lit all of the time and will bring the water all the way up to 90F. I keep having to unplug it, let the water cool down (which at room temperature, it is 72 or so -- too low), then plug it back in to heat the water up again. This is pretty frustrating. I have the thing set on it's lowest possible setting, and it never ever shuts off.

(no worries about fish, it's fishless cycling right now)

You guys ever have that happen? Should I just go buy another one?

Drumachine09
01-22-2007, 10:41 PM
Return it and get another one. If that one fails to work as well, i would go with a different brand.

jeffs99dime
01-22-2007, 10:45 PM
yeah. take it back to the store. sounds like you have a faulty one. if you want a really good heater i recommend a visitherm stealth. the only thing i don't like about the visitherm stealths is how strong the damn suction cups are lol.

Abbeys_Mom
01-22-2007, 11:04 PM
The heater I bought has crumby suction cups. It's a good thing it was submersible, because it ended up in the tank anyway!

Glasstapper
01-23-2007, 12:32 AM
yeah. take it back to the store. sounds like you have a faulty one. if you want a really good heater i recommend a visitherm stealth. the only thing i don't like about the visitherm stealths is how strong the damn suction cups are lol.

that's the kind I have on my big tank, and I've never had any problems with it. I think I'll just stick with what works.

Nautilus291
01-23-2007, 12:34 AM
stealths are the way to go I have them on my 10g and 55g and the water never changes temps.

jman
01-23-2007, 01:27 AM
Return it and get another one. If that one fails to work as well, i would go with a different brand.

when i buy products i never hesitate to return them it seems like lots of people hear don't get to do this are there problems in you guys areas?

freshwaterfishlover
01-24-2007, 02:52 AM
My problem is never knowing were to set it. I always set it and it goes up to 85 or down to 68. A just set it again and it's fine.

I have 7 stores in my area. I only tried to return something once to one store and the owner told me we only do store credit.

crackatinny
01-24-2007, 10:30 AM
If store don't return non working products you should tell them you will be in contact with the manufacturer, fair enough if it is just a wrong decision on the buyers part, but faulty items should have a money back guarentee.