PDA

View Full Version : Estes Sand Good For Plants?

LORENZO
12-01-2008, 09:46 PM
[COLOR="Blue" I was wondering if Estes sand is good for plants? IT does look good and i am reading on the forum it sinks quickly and is very clean. What kind of prep does this sand need. Just one or two rinsings? Is it expensive? But will it be good for plants? Good for a loach tank I imagine. The clowns would love it. But it is for the discus.

Wild Turkey
12-01-2008, 10:14 PM
It depends what you mean by "good for".
Some plants will only do well in sandy substrates, like sag. I dont believe the sand will offer any nutritional value if thats what you mean. Eco complete is your best bet for that category.

LORENZO
12-01-2008, 10:57 PM
It depends what you mean by "good for".
Some plants will only do well in sandy substrates, like sag. I dont believe the sand will offer any nutritional value if thats what you mean. Eco complete is your best bet for that category.
(zfish) (zfish) okay sand compacts usually used as base in thin layer over undergravel filters. Now i have Seachem flourite which I find really good for the swords and hygros and polysperma etc. I was looking around and found volacanit by Aqua medic ph neutral freshwater gravel... i have never heard of that one. so i don't suppose i will use Estes sand. Eco complete who makes that? I want a gravel that does not affect ph. I want something for acidic soft water that grows really healthy plants. One big tank here I have Quartz like gravel seems good. The Seachem flourite is really good. So now Eco complete i will go Google that. Thanks. I can't have a tank with no plants. What colour is your Eco substrate and how coarse is it? .04 in size or .12 should be good.

Fishguy2727
12-01-2008, 11:15 PM
Yes, Estes' is a great option for plants. It is the only substrate I use and ll my tanks are planted. This one does not compact to cause problems (really fine sands do though, which are not ideal anyways). I don't use any special substrates because they are eventually drained of their nutrients anyways. And yes, it is great for discus, loaches, and everything else. There is a whole article on sand in my blog, it is based on my experience with Estes'. You may want to check that out as well.

This is my 75. Estes' Marine Sand and a few Flourish Tabs.
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c207/reptileguy2727/IMG_1884-1.jpg.

Algenco
12-01-2008, 11:47 PM
no better or worse than any other sand

Fishguy2727
12-01-2008, 11:58 PM
It is better than other sands. The polymer coat on it prevents silicate problems (brown algae). The uniform size means no issues with compaction. The larger size (normal sand size, not really small) means it is heavy and allows oxygen to reach the inner areas of the sand bed. The multiple color options means you get what you want, or mix for an even better look. It also needs NO cleaning.

A lot of people have had some issues with sand, they weren't using aquarium sands. They used cheapo hardware and pool store sands. Not all sands are equal.

Algenco
12-02-2008, 12:16 AM
It is better than other sands. The polymer coat on it prevents silicate problems (brown algae). The uniform size means no issues with compaction. The larger size (normal sand size, not really small) means it is heavy and allows oxygen to reach the inner areas of the sand bed. The multiple color options means you get what you want, or mix for an even better look. It also needs NO cleaning.

A lot of people have had some issues with sand, they weren't using aquarium sands. They used cheapo hardware and pool store sands. Not all sands are equal.

about the same size as pool sand, as for the coating, cut out the middleman and buy 3M colorquartz

Wild Turkey
12-02-2008, 12:28 AM
Just want to point out, EC doesnt "require" cleaning either, its just a good idea, like always. I have to agree here much cheaper and/or better alternatives than buying brand-name "aquarium" sand.

Lady Hobbs
12-02-2008, 12:31 AM
You guys should live by me.

Blue or white gravel at my two stores (Meijers or Walmart)
Playsand at Home Depot
or........snow

Fishguy2727
12-02-2008, 01:59 AM
Yes, there are other aquarium sands, and 3M colorquartz is the same as Estes' (so if you can get it go with it). It is very uniform in size (not true of most non-aquarium sands). I just want to make sure anyone reading this really understands the differences and similarities between all the different sands so they can make the most well-informed decision about what they want to try.

invadertoast
12-02-2008, 02:37 AM
I use Estes in my two 2.5g tanks, and pool filter sand my 23g and 20g. I honestly don't notice a huge difference between the two other than the Estes was much cleaner out of the bag (and more expensive.) I use black Estes in one tank, and white Estes in the other. My white pool filter sand looks more natural than the white Estes does but that's only my personal opinion. Plants are easy to plant/stay planted in all my tanks, MUCH better than they did when I used gravel.

lovleeko
12-02-2008, 04:47 AM
LOL. Which have you chosen lady hobbs?

You guys should live by me.

Blue or white gravel at my two stores (Meijers or Walmart)
Playsand at Home Depot
or........snow

Lady Hobbs
12-02-2008, 03:36 PM
LOL. Which have you chosen lady hobbs?

All of it but the snow. My firemouth tank is my favorite. It's barebottom!!!!!

Wild Turkey
12-02-2008, 03:55 PM
All of it but the snow. My firemouth tank is my favorite. It's barebottom!!!!!

Barebottom FTW. Only way to keep a tank really "clean"

Lady Hobbs
12-02-2008, 04:03 PM
Actually, I have two barebottom 55's. My silver dollar and parrot tank is also barebottom.

Northernguy
12-02-2008, 04:17 PM
They look so naked and cold without substrate!
I understand it makes it easier to clean but they look so incomplete.
I guess to each their own. I tried it once and it didn't last long!
I look forward to sourcing the right sand for my tanks.
I have tons of snow if anybody wants any!

Lady Hobbs
12-02-2008, 04:23 PM
That would depend if nothing was in the tank. Mine are full of wood and rocks so not having substrate is hardly noticeable.

Northernguy
12-02-2008, 04:24 PM
That would depend if nothing was in the tank. Mine are full of wood and rocks so not having substrate is hardly noticeable.

I guess you don't want my snow then!

lovleeko
12-02-2008, 09:20 PM
I was hoping you would day snow! LOL.

Actually, I have two barebottom 55's. My silver dollar and parrot tank is also barebottom.

lovleeko
12-02-2008, 09:22 PM
I'll take some of your snow northern guy. I'm in Alabama on the gulf coast and we beg for snow every year. We rarely get any though! Must be because your hogging it all.
:)

I guess you don't want my snow then!

LORENZO
12-02-2008, 10:22 PM
(zfish) (zfish) (zfish) (zfish) NO snow here ha 17 out there now!!!!! oh but the snow well you know here i will get enough of it. Now this Estes sand how fine is that. That could get compacted and then the plants would not take. Ever hear of volanit? What about SEachem onynx is that too messy? Lady hobbs you have to get your parrot some plants or will he eat them all??? Can you send a pic of that fish?

jimmyt
02-19-2009, 11:39 PM
invadertoast - did you rinse the pool filter sand? I am about to mix the estes black with some aquaquartz pool filter sand - I know the estes does not need rinsed.. but not sure about the pool filter sand

thanks

jim

I use Estes in my two 2.5g tanks, and pool filter sand my 23g and 20g. I honestly don't notice a huge difference between the two other than the Estes was much cleaner out of the bag (and more expensive.) I use black Estes in one tank, and white Estes in the other. My white pool filter sand looks more natural than the white Estes does but that's only my personal opinion. Plants are easy to plant/stay planted in all my tanks, MUCH better than they did when I used gravel.

Algenco
02-19-2009, 11:40 PM
it all should be rinsed