PDA

View Full Version : pics of ten gallon after putting sand in

lovleeko
12-01-2008, 01:36 AM
I thought I would share my pics of my ten gallon that I just put sand in. This is about ten minutes after I got it back filled with water. I am so tired now. Wow! I can't imagine doing it to the 55 gallon! I think I might put that off a little longer. LOL. I decided to do it to one of the ten gallons to experiment with using the play sand. I love it. So much better than gravel. Now I'm putting my corys in there. They are going to be happy about it I'm sure.
There not great pics. I just snapped them real quick. I wasn't going for anything to impressive.

http://i372.photobucket.com/albums/oo161/retrokid2002/morepics017.jpg

http://i372.photobucket.com/albums/oo161/retrokid2002/morepics016.jpg

http://i372.photobucket.com/albums/oo161/retrokid2002/morepics015.jpg

http://i372.photobucket.com/albums/oo161/retrokid2002/morepics014.jpg

Northernguy
12-01-2008, 01:40 AM
Thats a cute tank!
No frogs!:19:

lovleeko
12-01-2008, 01:46 AM
Thanks. It's my sons tank with a few live bearers. He chooses the decor! We have a few live bearers hanging around from my guppy days. :) Long gone. The no frogs sign came from back in the day when we had turtles. We have a bunch of them. LOL.

Really, who would have thought that would be so much work. I thought, it's a ten gallon, how much work could it be. A LOT!!! Oh well though. I'll know what to expect when it's time to change the bigger tanks. I love it love it love it. Thanks again for helping me with the decision to go with the sand for some of my tanks.

DrNic
12-01-2008, 02:40 AM
That's adorable! Awesome setup!

Was the sand hard to work with at all? Did you use aquarium specific sand or the hardware store stuff? I've heard that both work but I have a hard time telling them apart.

Wild Turkey
12-01-2008, 02:48 AM
Looks good , good plant placement:19:

lovleeko
12-01-2008, 03:02 AM
I used play sand from lowes. The aquarium specific kind is so pricey. Washing the sand really wasn't as bad as I thought. Which if you get aquarium sand you don't have to do. But anyway, I took a garden hose attachment and just sprayed the crap out of it and then let the sand settle and pored it out until the water got pretty clear lack a bit of the sand still flying around in there, and the water out and went and dumped it in the tank. A lot of the work was in removing the gravel and setting everything up and getting the fish in and out and such. The sand was a lot easier than I thought. I like it a lot. Makes me want to do all of my tanks with sand. Which I will be doing most of them, just some of them have new gravel in them that was recently bought. So I will be leaving the gravel in them. I thought the ten gallon would be a good practice run before I move to the bigger tanks. :)

Thanks for the compliments!! I want to get some wood in there soon. It's getting cold so I think I'll wait a while to river dive LOL. It's pretty much my six year olds tank. I have been trying to find him some pygamy gouramis but to no avail.

That's adorable! Awesome setup!

Was the sand hard to work with at all? Did you use aquarium specific sand or the hardware store stuff? I've heard that both work but I have a hard time telling them apart.

Red
12-01-2008, 03:04 AM
cool looking setup...
To be honest i love those signs of all kinds
lol

teach
12-01-2008, 03:05 AM
Looks great and it must have settled quick and my 55 wasnt that bad.

lovleeko
12-01-2008, 03:16 AM
Yeah I put a plate in there while I was pouring the water back in there which I think helped a lot. I was thinking there would be more. Thanks! Glad to hear yours wasn't so bad. I was just thinking it would be worse due to having to reach so much farther down in a tank to do it all. I'm not looking foward to it.

Looks great and it must have settled quick and my 55 wasnt that bad.

Corndawg
12-01-2008, 03:31 AM
Been thinking of changing my betta tank over to sand, just love the look. Does it require you to have a vacuum to clean it or is there an easier way for a small tank?

Northernguy
12-01-2008, 03:45 AM
I'm sorry lovleeko!I forgot to tell you it was going to be a lot of work.:ezpi_wink1: lol
The sand looks amazing !thumbs2: It is also a is a really light brown.Lighter than I expected.Mine was a dark brown and it was just too dark.I want a white or as light as yours.Great job and I really do like the sign!:c3:

lovleeko
12-01-2008, 03:50 AM
You just have to vacuum over a few inches above it and get the top debris off. And once a month or so unplug the filter and stir it up to make sure the sand is oxygenated and doesn't build up toxic gas. Sounds more simple to me. :) I hear some people strain theirs every few months or so. But a lot of people don't.

Here is a link http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/sand.php

Been thinking of changing my betta tank over to sand, just love the look. Does it require you to have a vacuum to clean it or is there an easier way for a small tank?

lovleeko
12-01-2008, 03:59 AM
Yeah thanks for the warning! LOL. Thanks so much. I really like the color. It looks even lighter to me in real life than in the pics. It looks so much better than gravel to me. It seems more natural. The brand is quickrete. It was like three dollars for a fifty pound bag. I'm always willing to do a little extra work for a cheaper price. :sbiggrin:

I'm sorry lovleeko!I forgot to tell you it was going to be a lot of work.:ezpi_wink1: lol
The sand looks amazing !thumbs2: It is also a is a really light brown.Lighter than I expected.Mine was a dark brown and it was just too dark.I want a white or as light as yours.Great job and I really do like the sign!:c3:

Brookfish
12-01-2008, 04:00 AM
How cute is that, your cory's are gonna love that.

lovleeko
12-01-2008, 04:02 AM
Thanks! I hope they do. They have been on rocks for a while now. I'm gonna love them keeping it free of uneaten food. HEHE!!! :19:

How cute is that, your cory's are gonna love that.

Brookfish
12-01-2008, 04:20 AM
Thanks! I hope they do. They have been on rocks for a while now. I'm gonna love them keeping it free of uneaten food. HEHE!!! :19:

And watch their barbles grow now they have sand to play in!

lovleeko
12-01-2008, 05:13 AM
Oh really? I didn't know. That's so cool!! I felt bad for not having the right substrate for them. I kinda bought them on impulse which I normally don't do. the lady said it would be fine at the LFs. Go figure. Nothing surprising about coming home doing some research and finding out that they need something soft rather than just preferring it. They will get it now. Two for Tuesday is coming up and I plan on getting lots more of them too. Especially since my biggest tank will soon ave sand too. YAY!!

And watch their barbles grow now they have sand to play in!

lovleeko
12-01-2008, 06:29 AM
And now they are in the sand. I have successfully moved them. I wont say it was fun, but it is done now. YAY!!

Oh really? I didn't know. That's so cool!! I felt bad for not having the right substrate for them. I kinda bought them on impulse which I normally don't do. the lady said it would be fine at the LFs. Go figure. Nothing surprising about coming home doing some research and finding out that they need something soft rather than just preferring it. They will get it now. Two for Tuesday is coming up and I plan on getting lots more of them too. Especially since my biggest tank will soon ave sand too. YAY!!

mac
12-01-2008, 09:10 AM
Hi,
I have done a 50 a few times, and a 30 and 15 quite a lot. Normally only takes me 2 hrs. And soon to be doing about 7 tanks!!!!!

Well you did a great job. Looks great.
mac

lovleeko
12-01-2008, 05:37 PM
Thanks. I guess it was sort of trial and error. I think I'll be able to make things simpler this time. That's why it's nice to have a small tank to practise on. LOL

cer
12-02-2008, 08:59 PM
Love the sign.

lovleeko
12-02-2008, 09:16 PM
Thanks cer! I just bought a whole bunch of stuff for the tank today because I thought it looked a bit bare :) I'll have to take some more pics later :)

Northernguy
12-02-2008, 10:50 PM
You just have to vacuum over a few inches above it and get the top debris off. And once a month or so unplug the filter and stir it up to make sure the sand is oxygenated and doesn't build up toxic gas. Sounds more simple to me. :) I hear some people strain theirs every few months or so. But a lot of people don't.[/url]

Once a month!!Vacuum the loose stuff up every weekly water change and maybe gently pull a stick or net handle through the sand to stir it up.Never let debris fester for a month!
I do look forward to more pics!

lovleeko
12-03-2008, 01:03 AM
Honestly I dont know why I put once a month. I meant once a week which I do for gravel sand whatever. Of course debris and nitrates have to be removed once a week. Sorry. I swear I know these things. LOL I usually change my water twice a week. Since half of my tanks have quite a bit of fish in them. I never catch a break with the cleaning. House, tanks cars. If only they could all be cleaned once a month!

Once a month!!Vacuum the loose stuff up every weekly water change and maybe gently pull a stick or net handle through the sand to stir it up.Never let debris fester for a month!
I do look forward to more pics!