View Full Version : Did you cycle your betta's tank first?

01-22-2007, 05:38 PM
I set my tank up 2 weeks ago.. filter has been running.. wanted to be sure heater worked properly... no fish yet. 5 gallon.... sitting at about 78 to 79 degrees....

I noticed the water is looking a tad cloudy.. not horrible but not crystal clear. should I do a partial change or is there something else I should be doing?

I wasn't sure I was going to go into buying a tester kit... but I suppose I could.

01-22-2007, 05:39 PM
check your phosphate levels

01-22-2007, 06:16 PM
Ok.. a master strip kit will allow me to do this?

01-22-2007, 07:03 PM
The single bought phosohate tests will give you a better reading than most strips could do.

Lady Hobbs
01-22-2007, 07:53 PM
You can't cycle a tank without having the needed ammonia needed either from a bottle or from fish. Get some cheap pure ammonia at a discount store and add a bit of ammonia everyday until you get a cycle. Test kits are needed for this. Add enough ammonia to give you a reading of 5. everyday.

01-22-2007, 08:52 PM
This is recommended for a 5 gal betta tank? I've never done this before.... sounds like something I'm 100% sure to mess up.. :( I'll give it a shot.

01-22-2007, 09:35 PM
Also when you do get a test kit, make sure it is liquid. They are far more accurate than the strips.

01-22-2007, 09:39 PM
I didn't cycle my tank. This is what I did:

I set up the tank and put a few plants in there. I let the plants grow for about 6 weeks. Every two weeks I would change out most of the water and trim plants as needed. When I brought my betta home, I acclimated him slowly to the higher pH and temperature, and he's been fine ever since. I vary his diet a little (and feed him very little) to avoid constipation, and I play with him with a mirror every couple of days to keep him 'spunky'. He likes his play time. He gets a 50% water change each week.

I was hearing how some plastic plants can damage a betta's delicate fins, so that's why I went with real plants. I just put eco-complete as the substrate and basically left it alone other than water changes and a little plant trimming.