PDA

View Full Version : Got a question about my clowns....

Cassandra
11-30-2008, 11:34 PM
I bought two clown loaches about 4 or 5 months ago. Both were only about an inch long. The guy at the fish store said they were from the same "batch". Now one is almost twice the size of the other one, the smaller of the two measuring in at about 1 3/4 inches, and the larger, more voluptuous one measuring around 2 1/2 inches.

So here's my question: Is one possibly a male and the other a female? The only info I've found on distinguishing between male and female is that the tip of the tail fins of a male are usually bent inward, but I cannot see any difference between the two...they are exactly the same except for their size.

Im trying to get a good enough picture of them to post up but i swear its like they know lol.

Dave66
11-30-2008, 11:38 PM
Cassandra,
The females grow larger, reaching 16 inches and a have great bulk with age. Males top out at 14 inches or so, and are much slimmer, though Clown Loaches are the most heavy-bodied of the common Botia species, Chromobotia in their case.

Dave

Cassandra
11-30-2008, 11:39 PM
so there would already be that much of a differnce in size huh? wow...

Cassandra
11-30-2008, 11:53 PM
that would be awesome if i had a male and a female...I want babies!!! but i read that its fairly uncommon to breed clowns in the home aquarium and they have to be quite a bit more mature...darn.

mac
12-01-2008, 08:14 AM
Hi,
What size tank are they kept in?

mac

Lady Hobbs
12-01-2008, 10:10 AM
http://www.loaches.com/species-index/clown-loach-chromobotia-macracanthus

Check out Marge, the famous clown loach. They can live 20-30 years and grow rather slowly once they hit 5 inches..........or so all my readings have stated. Of my 5, two are females......both larger with less color. They have grown very slowly.

They love zucchini and cucumber. Stick a slice on a fork and just drop it in the tank. They love playing in an airstone and also on a piece of slate in the bottom of their tank. Mine slide back and forth on the thing and appear to be sharpening their barbells or just like scratching themselves.

I think they sell them much too early. I suppose because they don't want to keep them around but I think they would have a better start on life if not mass shipped at such tiny little things.

Northernguy
12-01-2008, 07:48 PM
Lady Hobbs thanks , thats a great site! :19: Marge is gorgious and huge!

Cassandra
12-01-2008, 07:56 PM
Hi,
What size tank are they kept in?

mac

right now they are in my 20 gallon...waaaay too small but ok for right now (right?) i put them in to get rid of a snail infestation and within 2 days...not one snail...now i wanna buy plants with snails on purpose lol

maybe this is a dumb question...i know that the bigger the tank the better....but how soon before i really need to start looking at buying a large tank?...i dont wanna stress them by keeping them in a small tank too long...even though i realize they should have gone into a large tank to begin with...the reason i havent gotten one yet is because i think im moving in the next year and im worried enough about having to move a 20 gallon...i cant even imagine having to move a big tank...

Cassandra
12-01-2008, 07:58 PM
Lady Hobbs thanks , thats a great site! :19: Marge is gorgious and huge!

i agree i have looked at that site soooo many times...i also like the picture of the clown loaches circling around a smiley face in the sand lol too cute

mac
12-01-2008, 09:56 PM
Hi,
I know a lot of members will say that they are slow grows, which is correct. But IMO I would get the 100+++ gallon ready for these fish, as soon as possible.

That way you don't have to worry about up-grading tanks all the time. Like a 20 gallon 50 gallon 75 gallon, 100 gallon ect.

So to sum up I would start right away. Also IMO I get a 150 gallon or bigger if you can.

mac

Cassandra
12-01-2008, 11:03 PM
oh crap i live in really old house im pretty sure it would go right through the floor

mac
12-02-2008, 12:29 AM
oh crap i live in really old house im pretty sure it would go right through the floor

HMM, that is one of the troubles with large tanks.

Can you get the floor supported in any way?

mac

Cassandra
12-02-2008, 12:41 AM
yeah i'll have to figure something out

Northernguy
12-02-2008, 04:44 PM
If you have a basement ,someone can place an adjustable post under the floor to support your tank.It is not that hard to do.
I have had to do it in every house I have ever lived in.LOL I had to jack up my floor in this house 2" to get it back to level after I set up my tanks.:19:

Cassandra
12-02-2008, 06:14 PM
nope no basement...hardly even a crawl space.

Northernguy
12-02-2008, 06:29 PM
You may have to keep your tanks on the outer walls.Probably the strongest place unless somebody can find out where the the main supports are under your floor.

Colin
12-02-2008, 07:44 PM
Hmmm, clown loach grow fairly slowly, I have found them to grow at maybe 1/2" or 1" per year when there young so I would sincerly chill out about their living space. If they survive then your gonna have to have a bigger tank, no question, big is better for these little beuties.

Your floor will probably take it, keep the tank near the wall and maybe take up a few floorboard and erect a few props just in case. What I am trying to say is, do you fill up the bath and jump in for a nice soak worrying about the floor going through.
Structurally floor joists are stronger in shear than in bending so keep it close to a wall (google shear forces and bending moments)

Shelves and wall supports for fish tanks are, imo, a bad idea. Shelves generally deflect between points of support, glass tanks dont like that, Glass dosnt bend very well but gives no signs of imminant failure, it just shatters which is bad news when you have a 100gal tank half full flowing all over your living room floor. I aint saying glass isnt strong its just, lets say brittle.

now onto the important thing, clowns like to be in groups. 2 is not a group. If your gonna go with clowns then plan for the future, decide if you can have a bigger tank in a year or two and get some more of the little fellas, they are great fun when they are in a group and can get to be a very nice fun size to watch. you should be looking at maybe 6 of similar size but the more the merrier.

I buy clown loaches what people sell onto fish shops. You normally see them greyed out trying to hide in corners in ones and twos. I take them home and they seriously chill out, get black again and start parting hard with the rest. I think the problem is that people buy them and find they are a serious commitment, dont grow fast enough and get bored of them and then take them back to the shop (Tehe for me to buy).

Seriously clowns are great, if your gonna go with them you will get a lot of pleasure out of these fish but its gonna cost time and money.

Just an opinion

Northernguy
12-03-2008, 06:28 PM
Colin, Got any pics !
Sounds like a cool tank,show it off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:19:

Colin
12-03-2008, 06:40 PM
http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/5365/tank1ct6.th.jpg (http://img508.imageshack.us/my.php?image=tank1ct6.jpg)

This photo was taken maybe 4 months ago but the layout is fundimently the same just more plants now and no other fish other than the loaches and a few plec.
I have a video on my phone from last saturday when the loaches were partying real hard. I will try to get it out of the phone and onto the forum, dunno how to but I will have a go.

Northernguy
12-03-2008, 06:59 PM
Nice tank ! What size is it?
I look forward to the vid as well!

Colin
12-03-2008, 07:34 PM
Nice tank ! What size is it?
I look forward to the vid as well!

ty
its 60"x24"x30" high 180USgal or 800 liters, in a few years I am proposing to get a 84"x36"x36" but I think the clowns are ok for a good while yet.

LORENZO
12-04-2008, 09:34 PM
:fish: :fish: :goldfish: :goldfish: CLOWNS ... bigger tank. Now what wall is left. Do you or colin have any idea how long a 240 tank would be? 180 won't do because i already have a 125. I should start saving soon. But now what i am hearing is that i might need more filtration than i have. But my tanks are not over stocked and i am very good at water changes. Now clowns in 240 but they need it long not deep...not like discus. Those are the ones that need a newer home. But there are things like saw stop to buy. ha. A basement needs to be designed around this hobby. 180 would be deeper than the 125 that would be good for discus but not the clowns. oh if they start to put on an inch per year! where are they going to go no one here is going to take them. no grand aquarium around here.
i have the tank in a basement with plywood and durable vinyl over it. This is not and ordinary fishroom. Quite a livable room. Did you name your clowns just asking out of curiosity.11784