PDA

View Full Version : Discus babies alive! i have babies?

LORENZO
11-30-2008, 10:39 PM
[COLOR="Blue"] i have baby discus.

LORENZO
11-30-2008, 10:51 PM
the only problem is they are still in the big tank with parents and other discus. Can they survive like this. What do i do now? help!!!!

Algenco
11-30-2008, 11:35 PM
Get another tank set up for the pair, not much you can do now.
Discus babies eat the slime on the parents, removing the other fish will probably stress the parents and cause them to eat the babies.

There is a good chance they will be successful in guarding the fry.

Wild Turkey
11-30-2008, 11:36 PM
" Spawning and fry raising

Once the couple has started to spawn, you can expect a new batch of eggs to be laid every week or every second week for up to 15 times in a row. A healthy, well functioning pair can go through two such spawning cycles per year. The eggs will normally hatch within 48 hours and the fry is free-swimming after another 72 hours. The free swimming fry will swim up to their parents and start feeding on a special type of nutritious mucus produced by the skin of the parents. They can continue to feed off their parents for several weeks, but you should start giving them newly hatched brine shrimp as well when they have been free swimming for 5-6 days.
Fry aquarium

The longer you leave the fry with their parents, the higher the risk of parasites being transmitted from the adults to the fry. The fry can also start eating not only mucus but pieces of skin and flesh from their parents, and this will naturally weaken the parents considerably. Most breeders therefore remove the fry to their own fry aquarium after 2-3 weeks. Fry without their parents should be fed at least six times a day and can for instance be given microworms, newly hatched brine shrimp and chopped up bloodworms. Keeping the water quality up is naturally extremely important. Feed only small servings and carry out at least one water change per day. "

Thats from this site, theres a ton of useful info if you look around
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/discusfish/breeding2.php

The related articles at the bottom are definitely worth a look as well.

Northernguy
12-01-2008, 12:11 AM
Good advice!:19: Congrats on the fry!!!!!
I hope you are going to get some pics those fry swimming with the parents!:19:

Lady Hobbs
12-01-2008, 12:55 AM
Have fun putting your hand in that tank. LOLOLOL

Northernguy
12-01-2008, 01:47 AM
Have fun putting your hand in that tank. LOLOLOL
Discus are gentle ,aren't they?

Wild Turkey
12-01-2008, 02:26 AM
It tickles, IME zebra danio tanks are the most difficult to work in because of how quickly they decide they like the way my skin tastes lol

LORENZO
12-01-2008, 02:09 PM
(zfish) (zfish) Thanks for the help guys. The new 75 should be here by wed or friday and then i will have it up and running in no time. So next week perhaps another batch if these don't survive. i have not looked this morning to see. Good guards they are!! woow this really is something to see. I just put pantyhose over the filter. I don't want them sucked up. I will use the spray bar of the Rena ....