PDA

View Full Version : What is going on with my cycle?

Mikeee
11-30-2008, 09:31 PM
It has been almost 2 weeks now ammonia at around 4 and nitrites between 0.25 and 0.5 and not moving an inch

Have not recieved any nitrite spikes is it supposed to take this long?

Doing fishless with
1. prawn as source of ammonia (do not have ammonia in Australia)
2. temp between 74-80
3. ample surface disturbance to provide O2
4. have not changed water or touched gravel in anyway
5. Have java moss, java fern and anubias planted in tank at end of week 1.
6. 136Litre tank

robnepper
11-30-2008, 09:38 PM
If every thing is new, it can take a while. 4 - 6 weeks sometimes. Just be patient and things should work out. Cycling is just a cruel trick to teach the fish keeper patients IMO. It is very needed though. Kudos to you for going through the process, however long it takes.

Northernguy
11-30-2008, 10:16 PM
It is taking longer because of the prawns.Stick with it!

shallow
11-30-2008, 10:22 PM
It can take up to 12 weeks in some cases for a tank to cycle, but that is not normal. It should really only take 6-8 weeks to cycle.

Mikeee
12-01-2008, 03:59 AM
haha 12 weeks? I dont think anyone would have the patience to watch a empty tank that long even 1 month is a stretch :(

oh well looks like ill just have to wait it out or go out and buy some bacteria in a bottle that ive been recommended at my LFS

fins_n_fur
12-01-2008, 06:20 AM
Cycling a tank without fish is, indeed, a patience stretcher and teacher--needed in this hobby, but at least you are not needing to worry about the health of your fish.

Just one question: Do you have a heater in the tank? The only thing you could try is to bump up the heat to 84F or so to see if that helps things pick up a bit.

And the cycle time gives you plenty of time to research the fish that you would like to stock to ensure that you have made good choices.

Lady Hobbs
12-01-2008, 10:19 AM
Totally agree with fins but you are right on track. It would take a bit longer using prawns instead of ammonia because ammonia gives you the big bump you need right from the beginning instead of waiting on the prawns to decay.

It takes a couple weeks for those nitrites to began to drop and when they do, will drop right away. You are doing everything right on cue. Good for you. No dying fish, no water changes..........you rock.

Wild Turkey
12-01-2008, 06:52 PM
Agree with above, hang in there everything is going as planned Muhahahaha.

Patience my friend, no one can say for sure but you are around the midway point, probably a little farther since you used the prawns and they will make for a slow start as mentioned above.

Mikeee
12-01-2008, 10:43 PM
woops forgot to mention i am indeed using a heater and cranking it right up

but how can i get a big drop in nitrites when they are constantly sitting at 0.25-0.5 :P?

cheers

terrapin24h
12-04-2008, 05:59 PM
you also need to take into account the fact that you have plants in the tank. They will absorb some of the compounds you need to cycle. So in a way your plants are slowing your cycle down. Normally plants will help to keep your tank stable, but at the beginning i think you can be hindered by them, esp if your ammonia production is slow and gradual like what you have from natural decay. All you need to do is hang in there and it'll finish. Your trite reading may not spike if you don't have enough ammonia. What is your ammonia reading?

--chris

Mikeee
12-07-2008, 12:28 AM
ammonia has dropped to about 1.0 and so has nitrite to <0.25

Never saw the nitrite spike maybe i missed it but im hoping the cycle will finish within next couple of days

fins_n_fur
12-07-2008, 12:29 AM
Sometimes you see it, sometimes you don't. Any chance that you have a planted tank?

Lady Hobbs
12-07-2008, 02:13 AM
Your nitrites didn't get very high. Sometimes they can get up to 4 or 5 and remain for a week or so then suddenly drop. And you have your cycle. Your nitrites could be low because your plants are using it up or because you are using prawns and not getting a steady reading for the ammonia end of it. Maybe the prawns need to be replaced?

I have started from scratch on a brand new everything with ammonia and had a cycle in 12 days. But that was adding a steady amount of ammonia each day and you have not had that luxury and have had to wait for those prawns to rot and release that ammonia. You'll get there. Not to worry.

If you know of anyone who has fish, you could get some of their dirty, used filter media for your filter and you'd be good to go.

Mikeee
12-07-2008, 01:55 PM
yes its planted

hrrrm yeh definetly weird but my patience is wearing very thin

might just get some danios and have them test the tank to see if its "really cycled"

Northernguy
12-07-2008, 03:19 PM
yes its planted

hrrrm yeh definetly weird but my patience is wearing very thin

might just get some danios and have them test the tank to see if its "really cycled"

Patience is the one thing you cannot buy at the LFS!:help:
Now the liquor store does!:hmm3grin2orange:
If you do not know anyone with a cycled tank ask your lfs for some if they have a healthy looking tank.Some stores will give some away!
Where abouts are you located?

Wild Turkey
12-07-2008, 03:21 PM
Patience is the one thing you cannot buy at the LFS!:help:
Now the liquor store does!:hmm3grin2orange:
If you do not know anyone with a cycled tank ask your lfs for some if they have a healthy looking tank.Some stores will give some away!
Where abouts are you located?

He means used filter media, not liquor or patience! LOL

terrapin24h
12-08-2008, 03:08 PM
He means used filter media, not liquor or patience! LOL

NG, visit the liquor store less, and the fish store more, lol ;)

--chris

Northernguy
12-08-2008, 04:49 PM
I gave the proper advice!
First patience than source some live used media.