PDA

View Full Version : Odd Fish

Full3R
01-20-2006, 08:34 PM
hey people
Every now and then i must make the long walk which isnt acutaly long but i must make a walk to a creek were i catch Mosquito Fish (aka. Plague Guppy, Plague Minnow) for my 8" Oscar my 2 3" Oscars and the 2 Black Ghost Knife Fish which are 4" and 5" long.

I have kept yabbies before so for about 4 years ive gone to this creek to catch the Mosquito Fish for my animals.
After 4 years of constant creek scooping i've onli ever seen the occational turtle the hundreds of Moquito Fish and about 10 eels that have been there ever since and commonly juvenile eels (One large eel i named Sheila and she will take bread from your hand)
and a couple of weeks ago i found living in the water 2 new species of fish that i had never seen or caught

the first one is a small fish of about 70mm with 2 dorsal finns a circular tail like an oscars tail and one long finn on the bottom.
it resembles the Crimson Spotted Rainbow Fish that is native to my home Australia but the tail is different and its head is not as narrow

The second fish is a rough looking fish with the same finns as the first one only it is a wider fish that bottom dwells eating the Mosquito Fish

i was curious if anyone knows what these fish are any help is great ;)

William
01-21-2006, 02:06 AM
Could you get us pictures?

Full3R
01-21-2006, 02:02 PM
i caught a few of the smaller species and i had the larger species to although i had nowhere but my 200 gallon tank with goldfish in it and they ate the eyes of my telescopes so i let those go but ill try to catch more and ill take pictures of the ones i have

Full3R
01-21-2006, 08:36 PM
I ventured to the drain this morning at about 5:45am to catch the mosquito fish and to see if there were any new eels or other aqautic creatures (one of the eels i think is pregnant, she has 2 large boldges near he stomach area)

The net i use is circular and it sinks to the bottom flat and then i pull the rope and pull the net straight up out of the water or i drag it threw the creek.
Using the "pull up" technique i was surprised to find that the 2 species of fish i spoke about had returned and i had caught 2 of the smaller species and one of the larger species.
When my digital camrea is fixed i shall upload pictures

Also i was again surprised to find yet another fish i had never caught i will upload a picture of him to when i upload the others ;)

Full3R
01-21-2006, 08:40 PM
Hey William or anyone else. when i do get the pictures how can i show them to you?
like how can i post them in the forum???

William
01-22-2006, 12:56 AM
Hi
The easiest way is if you post the pictures in the picture gallery and than link to them in your forum post. You can also email them to me and I'll upload them to the server for you.

Full3R
01-22-2006, 02:47 AM
kool
well im currently trying to find my sisters camrea to take the pictures ;)