PDA

View Full Version : Betta Tank Mate

Corndawg
11-30-2008, 03:35 AM
Just wanted to see if anyone had any ideas on a tankmate for a betta in a 5gal hex?

shallow
11-30-2008, 04:24 AM
It would be hard to fit any more fish in that tank, but there are many types of shrimp and snails that would co-exist nicely with a betta in a tank that size.

Corndawg
11-30-2008, 04:30 AM
Been leaning twords a snail. Anyone have advice on a small snail that would work?

shallow
11-30-2008, 04:38 AM
Malaysian Trumpet Snails are small snails so you may want to get a few if those if they are something you like. Also a Ramshorn snail is a good snail that would probably not outgrow your tank.

Donnie Bingo
12-04-2008, 11:46 PM
I picked up a bunch of small snails to help keep the tank clean. (They gave them to me at Pet Co) I kept looking for them for the past three days. I just now found out why they were hard to find.... Dinner for the big guy. He had the little thing in his mouth and just sucked out the snail and spit out the shell.
The ghost shrimp are still hanging around. Do you think they might be next on the menu? I also have a chinese alge eater. It seems to be fast enough to get away from the Betta.

William
12-04-2008, 11:54 PM
Shrimps can be a little to0 delicate to keep with bettas if the betta decide to focus aggression towards the shrimps.

Donnie Bingo
12-05-2008, 12:10 AM
I would hate to see them go that way. They are doing ok right now and I have no place else to put them. I do have lots of places for them to hide. I'll just keep the Betta nice and well fed.

William
12-05-2008, 12:21 AM
Hopefully the Betta will leave them alone, or even protect them. I once had a Betta male that adopted every guppy fry he could find and protected them. It turned into a problem since the tank always had 300-400 guppies in it no matter how many i removed. If i removed all adults I still had a lot of them soon enough. It was a guppy infestation ;-)

korith
12-05-2008, 12:23 AM
If you give the shrimp some hiding spots they might be ok. A clump or two of java moss would work.

Donnie Bingo
12-05-2008, 12:35 AM
I've had people tell me to stay away from java moss. It's hard to get rid of. and grows very fast.
I like the way it looks.
Do you just keep removing it as it grows or will it take over? I've also given the shrimp PVC tunnels to help them hide. I have live plants and a little castle thing.... with a door in the front that they get inside.

William
12-05-2008, 12:38 AM
Don't worry bout java moss if your tank is small. Sure it will grow fast but not so fast that it is a problem. Trim it once a week and you should be fine.

korith
12-05-2008, 12:41 AM
I've had people tell me to stay away from java moss. It's hard to get rid of. and grows very fast.
I like the way it looks.
Do you just keep removing it as it grows or will it take over? I've also given the shrimp PVC tunnels to help them hide. I have live plants and a little castle thing.... with a door in the front that they get inside.

Pretty much have to keep watch over the java moss, it can overtake the tank. It will anchor itself onto pretty much anything in the tank and grow. I usually have to cut down the moss every once in a while. Maybe you can go with water wisteria or something instead.