PDA

View Full Version : Setting up For Breeding Fish.

mac
11-29-2008, 01:41 AM
Hi guys,

I have not long ago bought some tanks of a retired breeders. The tanks are a 46 inch long 40 gallon. A 32 gallon and a 20 gallon. There is also a 18 gallon, but I more than likely will use this for sump filter, for the 100 gallon.

Now I have a few questions on fish to breed.
I was planning of breeding Jewel Cichlids.
But I was sifting through some web pages that say Fire Mouth Cichlids can be kept in a 30 gallon tank. Now I am lost. This fish grows to around 15 cm 5-6 inches. So what is up here. Also what about the Jewel. Will my tank be the right size for my tanks.

Now I have a LFS that I will be supply with fish i breed. So I have no problems with over stocked tanks, and having to kull. So that is one thing solved.

So to shorten up my questions what would be a great choice of American Cichlids and some small African Cichlids that I can breed, and keep. Also I can only use the 3 tanks I mentioned. So are these fish i want idea to breed in this type of tank or not?? Also what would be good filters. And lighting?

Cheers,
mac

NickFish
11-29-2008, 12:13 PM
You could harem breed apistogramma cacatuoides.

Get one male and 4 females, lots of caves, dark substrate, peat, and frozen and live foods, should have little apistos everywhere in no time. Remove the young after a week or so, or even right away. Feed infusoria, rotifers and bbs.

You could also try kribensis. Very easy to breed once you get the pairing issue out of the way. Lots of caves are a must.

GBR. Get a half dozen little ones and watch them pair off, seperate the pair, pH under 7.0, subdued lighting, 6x daily feeding. Raising the young is the same as the apistos.

teach
11-29-2008, 02:06 PM
I like the GBR idea they are small and worth quite abit atleast around here.

mac
11-29-2008, 09:35 PM
Hi,
Thanks Nik and Mollie,

I was thinking of GBR. But the life expectance for the ones in the shop in NZ are around 6 weeks. And they cost $15.00. IMO I don't think I will try them.

But the apistogramma cacatuoides. I will ring up the LFS and see if they can get these guys. I atullly like. Them so I will look them up.

Cheers,
mac

P>S what about the other fish I listed. Are the tanks alright or to small??

NickFish
11-30-2008, 02:03 AM
You mean the jewels?

I think you are about right on that. I wouldn't breed jewels in anything less than a 30g.

You should actually start off with something bigger, maybe a 40g, then when they pair off move them to a smaller tank. They get fairly large and need their territory.

mac
11-30-2008, 02:33 AM
Hi,
Thanks Nik. I have finally decided that instead of Jewels I will do Fire Mouth cichlids. The Fire Mouths have the same pH requirements as the rest of my fish.
But thanks again for the help.

mac

NickFish
11-30-2008, 11:43 AM
Sure you have a big enough tank for them?

mac
11-30-2008, 09:37 PM
Sure you have a big enough tank for them?

Well Apparently a 30 gallon is alright for theses fish. And I have 40 gallon long that I can use. I could do a 50 gallon. But I would then have to place the Angel in the 100 gallon.

Or could I keep them together. IMO I think I would be better of not to do that thought.

mac