PDA

View Full Version : blackwater extract for breeding tank.

LORENZO
11-28-2008, 12:22 AM
Can blackwater extract be a good conditioner for discus fry? I don't usually use any peat in my filter because my water is acidic can soft. But just wondering when i do move the parents could the addition of blackwater induce spawning activity and overall be a good thing for the baby discus?It would turn the water that tea colour which is what they like. It would dim the tank a bit. But what are the real benefits of using blackwater extract by Kent ?

Fishguy2727
11-28-2008, 02:01 AM
Most people just focus on water quality, not the parameters. Lots of water changes and stability are better than trying to mess with the parameters and chemistry.

LORENZO
11-28-2008, 11:26 AM
Most people just focus on water quality, not the parameters. Lots of water changes and stability are better than trying to mess with the parameters and chemistry.
(zfish) now don't forget that plants will have a hard time if i keep changing the water frequently. Why would you need a 50% water change for discus babies or for that matter the adult discus. I have never done this and these fish are doing really well. They are settled away in their big tank. Now a second load of eggs. i can't wait to put the adults in the tank that is coming. 50 % water changes would kill my plants.

Fishguy2727
11-28-2008, 02:01 PM
No they won't. All my tanks are planted and I do 80% waters changes multiple times a week on my 150. The plants and fish are fine as long as you do them right. If you are not used to this type of schedule you need to slowly step up to it, don't just jump in to it. So if you normally do 25% weekly do 30%, then 35%, etc. Just check the temp and pH. Ideally you have a big stock tub with water ready to go so you know it matches the tank.

Water quality is vital, especially for growing discus. Nitrate, growth inhibiting hormones, and other chemicals can all stunt growth and need to be kept to a minimum, this is done with water changes.

LORENZO
11-28-2008, 11:55 PM
You really do an 80 % water change per week or did you say twice a week! I have had very healthy discus and I have never changed that much water. I usually do just 30 % weekly. My tap water though is very soft and acidic. I will use Discus essential and stresscoat that is it. Do you fertilize your plants and do you have a CO2 injector????

Fishguy2727
11-29-2008, 04:27 AM
I occasionally use fertilizers, but no CO2.

Healthy discus that look great and thriving to their full potential can be two very different things. You should definitely reconsider your water change schedule. Try just stepping up by 5% each time.

Yes, my 150 gets the most water changes right now. A couple weeks ago I did 80% every day for 5 days straight. In general I do 80% about twice a week. The more water changes the higher the water quality. The higher the water quality the healthier the fish. They will grow faster and larger, have better colors, and breed better. Just don't rush in to it.

What do you feed?