PDA

View Full Version : Egg shells for snails

Northernguy
11-27-2008, 11:42 PM
I read somewhere ,can't remember where,that snails eat egg shells!
Is this a good way to get them calcium or not!
Rinsed under warm water of course.

Mvjnz
11-28-2008, 01:38 AM
I gave mine some shortly after I got it, and it showed no interest, so I haven't bothered since.

Wild Turkey
11-28-2008, 02:31 AM
An older method, one i havent used but i havent heard anything about its effectiveness, good nor bad. Id say there are easier ways IMO

Northernguy
11-28-2008, 07:47 PM
Would it add calcium if left in the water?
Would it do anything to my perameters?

Alfcea
11-28-2008, 07:51 PM
Depending on the pH, the egg shell will dissolve slower (if pH is high) or faster (if it is low-ish). Once it dissolves, it will increase the general hardness of the water a little. If your water is already hard and alkaline, I don't think you need egg shells for your snails. If it is soft and acidic, then it might be a good idea, but there are other sources of CaCO3 that you could use too...

Northernguy
11-28-2008, 08:09 PM
I do not have a test for hardness yet!I have ordered one twice and they never call to tell me its in or the lfs uses them up.I hope its the second one.
We have very soft water up here and I have heard of the lfs tanks crashing because of it.My ph stays betwwen 7 and 7.4. Maybe a little below 7,my test kit is colors that fade into one another.Nutrifin I think.
One day they will have affordable digital meters for everything!

WT I just may need a bit of that crushed coral!lol

Wild Turkey
11-28-2008, 08:18 PM
I should have the $ to send you some in a few days, i only need around half of what i got so you have the rest. I'll let you know

Northernguy
11-28-2008, 11:59 PM
I should have the $ to send you some in a few days, i only need around half of what i got so you have the rest. I'll let you know

Please wait till after the holidays!If I need them I'll send you the money first.
Partying around Christmas is always expensive anyway.
I'll let you know if I really need them.Thanks for now and I really appreciate the offer!

Wild Turkey
11-29-2008, 09:21 PM
Please wait till after the holidays!If I need them I'll send you the money first.
Partying around Christmas is always expensive anyway.
I'll let you know if I really need them.Thanks for now and I really appreciate the offer!

Kool man np ;) Yea i still have to do xmas shopping..im gonna end up doing it on the 24th online im sure. :laugh1blue:

Northernguy
11-29-2008, 11:10 PM
Kool man np ;) Yea i still have to do xmas shopping..im gonna end up doing it on the 24th online im sure. :laugh1blue:
Its the norm for me.:19: I do think about early shopping but thats all I do is think about it.