PDA

View Full Version : Freshwater Snowflake Eel...help!

SmokeyCFH
11-27-2008, 11:14 PM
My eel looks fine, breathing is fine but his eyes are beggining to get cloudy and is fasting. It's an already established eel and will eat out of my hand, but now he is no longer feeding, please help me before it dies, thank you.

Fishguy2727
11-28-2008, 01:59 AM
Sounds like water quality.

What is the salinity?

sanddigger
11-28-2008, 04:11 AM
My eel looks fine, breathing is fine but his eyes are beggining to get cloudy and is fasting. It's an already established eel and will eat out of my hand, but now he is no longer feeding, please help me before it dies, thank you.

with out knowing much from your post, such as size of tk, fish or how long it has been established,...I agree with 27. Do a huge WC, at least 50%, making sure you clean the substrate. Let us know how the eel is doing.

Northernguy
11-28-2008, 07:58 PM
Welcome to the AC!
How old and what size is your tank?
What kind of filtration?
What are the perameters of your tank water?
What is your water change schedule like,how much how often?
I agree with the doing a 50% water change!
What else is in the tank and how big and what kind of eel is it?
We would be able to help you if can answer as much as possible real soon!

SmokeyCFH
11-29-2008, 05:03 AM
My tank is 100g brakish tank, it has 20g of salt mix, it's been established for a year, and the new eel i put in isn't sick, and i gravel vac'd it 3 weeks ago, i've gone to about 4 fish stores today and they said it was probably a fungal or bacterial thing, and i bought some medication and tomorrow i'm going to go guy a more expensive medication, so i'm going to try that first, then do another water change, thank you guys so much, i'll keep ya posted.

Northernguy
11-29-2008, 05:41 AM
I strongly really recommend you start doing water changes every week not 3.You may not even need those expensive meds.
Take some of your water to the store and have it tested and while your there a liquid test kit would be a great investment.
Its just my opinion but your tank needs to be cleaned more often.

SmokeyCFH
11-29-2008, 05:46 AM
Thank you northernguy for the welcome.
My tank is a 100g, it's been an established tank for 2 years.
The filtration is...not so great.
The water change cycle is 1/4 every 3 months with gravel vac.
In the tank right now besides the sick snowflake eel is: a colony of over 20 guppies, a colony of snails, 3 green spotted puffers, a black skirt terra, a phantom terra, two green barb terras and a 7" pleco, and an additional snowflake eel, and none of them are sick. With live plants with a complex root system.
Thanks again guys, I really appreciate this.

cocoa_pleco
11-29-2008, 05:48 AM
Hmmmm, the plants could be a problem, alot of plants cant handle any salt. tetras cant either

welcome to ac!

Fishguy2727
11-29-2008, 01:59 PM
The water change schedule needs a huge upgrade. Ideally the water changes are every week, and more than 25% is ideal.

What is the nitrate concentration?
Any pics?

The eel will need its own tank. Can you provide this?

SmokeyCFH
11-30-2008, 12:45 AM
I went and got my water checked today and I can't get the medicine because it's too much for a 100g tank, but all the levels are great, the guy at the store said that the eel is probably sick because of the gravel vac i did. And i cannot provide the eel with another tank because it's hard to get, thanks a lot, have a good one.

Fishguy2727
11-30-2008, 01:50 AM
The vacuum should not cause hom to have problems. He NEEDS brackish, plain and simple. If you cannot provide this then you need to find someone who can properly care for him.

SmokeyCFH
12-02-2008, 12:19 AM
My tank is brackish and i have had the freshwater morey for more than a year very little that i can do cuz if i stress it the eel will not eat for months its just how they are but the cloudy eye has not gotten worst or better and only 1 eel is effected.

Fishguy2727
12-02-2008, 01:56 AM
"a colony of over 20 guppies, a colony of snails, 3 green spotted puffers, a black skirt terra, a phantom terra, two green barb terras and a 7" pleco, and an additional snowflake eel, and none of them are sick. With live plants with a complex root system."
Guppies, snails (depending on the species), tetras, barbs, plecos, and most plants are freshwater, not brackish. If you are doing the water right for the eels you are harming the other fish. They may seem fine for now, but in the long run there will be problems (failure to thrive, shortened lifespan, more health problems, etc.). These species are simply incompatible and need to be separated in order to properly care for them.

SmokeyCFH
12-06-2008, 03:03 AM
Okay so i got this medication for body fungus and it's API pimafix and i got melafix, are these safe to use together?

Fishguy2727
12-06-2008, 03:48 AM
Yes, medications can be used together as long as the don't have the same active ingredient (that would lead to an overdose of that ingredient).

SmokeyCFH
12-11-2008, 08:26 AM
My eel seems to be getting better, the only problem is a little blood looking discoloration on his nose. Thank you guys for everything!