PDA

View Full Version : The Dead Seas - 20g Long

JimTheBetta
11-27-2008, 12:57 AM
The Dead Seas - 20g Long 30"x12.5"x12.5"

Well got started on this tank last night, so i guess time to start the journal on this. This tank used to be home to 2 Red-Belly Pacus and 1 Sailfin Pleco. Of course all three were in a tank way to small. Didn't know this at the time, and feel bad for it now. Now the tank is empty (pleco eaten by pacus, pacus donated to keller farms) and its time to get it read for its permanent residents.

So the first major step to its redesign, changing over the black and blue gravel to sand. I orignally was going to go with this awesome white aquarium sand we found but to do this tank that would have been $50. So we are going with the regular play sand as the bottom layer, and the white aquarium sand on top. Well onto pictures :19:

Tank cleaned out and ready to start removing the gravel.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v679/OrionLeingod/fish%20tank/tds001.jpg

Got the gravel out of the tank and got the bottom layer of play sand in. its pushed up against the front cause im changing the background as well.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v679/OrionLeingod/fish%20tank/tds009.jpg

Full out view. Even with how clean i got the sand, the water is still murky as hell.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v679/OrionLeingod/fish%20tank/tds010.jpg

More to come soon :D Taking a break for dinner currently.

gm72
11-27-2008, 01:01 AM
Glad to see you have moved the beasts on to a more appropriate home, nice job.

The tank will clear with time. Once the primary mess starts to settle, after about an hour or so, fire up the filter and see what you get.

JimTheBetta
11-27-2008, 01:23 AM
Glad to see you have moved the beasts on to a more appropriate home, nice job.

The tank will clear with time. Once the primary mess starts to settle, after about an hour or so, fire up the filter and see what you get.

Well i actually had got all the sand in when i posted this. I had written this earlier in the day and for some reason forgot to hit submit xD

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v679/OrionLeingod/fish%20tank/tds011.jpg

One really interesting thing is that the aquarium sand foamed in the bucket i was cleaning the sand with. It stopped when the water was running clear, but when i added it to the tank it did it again xD Foam went away and now its all settling. Filter is now on since its been about an hour.

Im betting i just didn't clean the sand good enough. I thought i had but its not looking that way :(

EDIT: and after seeing that photo i cleaned the glass of the tank xD Didn't realize how dirty it had gotten through all of this.

JimTheBetta
11-27-2008, 02:20 AM
Alright got done putting the decorations back in, and hooked up the air pump for the first time. Gotta say the pump might be a bit piowerfull xD The skull just stays open.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v679/OrionLeingod/fish%20tank/tds012.jpg

The water is slowly clearing up, i hope another good 50% w/c will get the rest of the murk out. I wish the lfs was open tomorrow so i could go get all the plants.

Oh and the heater right now is just in the water, since the water line is really low (haven't put any water back in yet) and i need to do a big water change. In the end it will hide on the back wall behind the fake driftwood.

Northernguy
11-27-2008, 05:47 AM
That tank is looking pretty sweet.
You should try and level out your dresser a little more to keep the water pressure even in the tank.
Just a thought,sorry it stood out.:14:

JimTheBetta
11-27-2008, 06:54 AM
lol i know, the un-eveness drives me nutts. I forget to do it everytime i have enough water out of the tank to lift it up on my own. I was planning on possibly dumping another 50% again tomorrow (even with time and filter its not clearing up much) so ill try and remember then.

It needs so much more though, with no plants or fish the tank is so empty. And i don't know if anyone noticed, but i actually used a decoration thats on that dresser in the tank. In the far right corner of the first picture you can see a vase with some bamboo in it, i used the tin red ones shortened and tied together. There behind the bridge in the middle. I think with other plants they will actually look pretty schweet :D

phxl
11-27-2008, 07:13 AM
Looking good so far! 20L are great to decorate, and that sandy bottom really accents the width! :c10:

JimTheBetta
11-27-2008, 07:24 AM
Looking good so far! 20L are great to decorate, and that sandy bottom really accents the width! :c10:

Thanks :D Yea its ease of decoration is actually driving me nutts, i can't decide exactly what plants to go with. Any suggestions would rock ;)

JimTheBetta
11-28-2008, 08:18 PM
Quick little update.

The air pump we got was too powerful and was holding the skull bubblers mouth open instead of opening and closing. Went today and got a 2 way gang valve and a bubble wall and added that to the tank. Now both are working perfectly. Moved the filter and heater to the opposite side of the tank to balance things out.

I was starting to worry about the bacteria dying off from lack of fish waste to process, so i bought some of the api stress zyme stuff and i hope it will keep what bacteria is left alive. Were going to (hopefully) go get the plants and a few of the fish today.

Hopefully the store is open, and they have what we want xD Pictures coming when i get back.

EDIT: Oh yea also got an API master test kit today. Even though i've been checking my levels its been with the strips. Also got a check valve for the air pump, and free petsmart t shirts for some odd reason xD