PDA

View Full Version : Brown "bumps" on java fern??

invadertoast
11-26-2008, 05:08 PM
I bought a java fern from Petco today, it was in one of those tube packages. I've got a couple awesome java ferns from those tubes but the one I got today has weird brown bumps along the bottom of a few of the leaves. What the heck are these?? Is it safe to put it in my tank? (It's for my barb tank, which currently only has one java fern in it)

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y91/invadertoast/IMG_2996.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y91/invadertoast/IMG_2997.jpg

KingFisher
11-26-2008, 05:11 PM
The brown bumps are where new java ferns will start to form, They will grow into long brown hairy rootlets, and then little leaves will start to grow out of the top side of the leaf. Congratulations, you will be the proud parent of a bunch of baby Java ferns soon. :c3:

invadertoast
11-26-2008, 05:15 PM
Wow, sweet!! The ferns in my other tank sprout baby plants all the time but they only ever grow off the tips of the leaves. This is extra awesome because I wanted to buy more plants for my barb tank, I guess now I'll just steal babies from my other tank and wait for this one to grow me some more!

Sasquatch
11-26-2008, 06:37 PM
Actually, the brown bumps are spore bodies ... kinda like seeds. Java ferns can reproduce in two ways. The most common in the aquarium is by budding, growing small plantlets identical to the parent and is a form of asexual reproduction.

The spore bodies are a form of sexual reproduction. When you have different plants in the same environment and the conditions are right, they'll exchange genetic material and create spores that are a combination of both ... "mom" and "dad" ferns.

Long story short ... they're safe to put into your aquarium.

invadertoast
11-26-2008, 08:29 PM
Thanks for the info! Learn something new everyday!

DrNic
12-01-2008, 02:42 AM
Nice info! I had those show up on a lot of my ferns as well and couldn't figure out what they were either.

henryscat
12-16-2008, 02:52 PM
Big thanks for this info - i was about to post but i thought i would have a search around first.

Although my ferns have a few dark lines on them and possibly rotten areas. Don't think they are as healthy as i would like. Have trimmed most of the bad bits off so will see what happens.

LORENZO
12-17-2008, 10:47 AM
:fish: Those javas will do well. Mine have the spots ! oh the javas do well. Catfish love them and the clowns. Mine are growing slate... That was interesting though the different plant species in the tank and asexual reproduction and sexual reproduction. Peter Hiscock has a good book out on plants!

henryscat
12-24-2008, 10:19 PM
Ok i have 2 of these little things growing off my java fern - anyone know how i go about planting it elsewhere?? Do i take it off myself? will it fall off by itself? WHat do i do?

Algenco
12-25-2008, 01:01 AM
Ok i have 2 of these little things growing off my java fern - anyone know how i go about planting it elsewhere?? Do i take it off myself? will it fall off by itself? WHat do i do?

Wait until it's several inchs, the longer it stays on the mother plant the better