PDA

View Full Version : ID help needed

Kaga's Kritters
11-26-2008, 03:32 PM
yea, another "what fish is this" thread, lol. My lfs has it and they weren't sure what it is either. I am not having much luck finding it online anywhere so I figured I would ask on here. I know it's some sort of cichlid, but other than that I'm lost.

ps. sorry the pics aren't that great, i took them with my cell phone....its all i had at the time. As you can see he has a spot or two on him and a protruding chin......... also I want to note that he has some bluish shine to him in some areas......hard to notice in the pics.

Northernguy
11-26-2008, 04:52 PM
It almost looks like an albino jewel cichlid!
How big is it?

angelcakes
11-26-2008, 05:08 PM
is it a texas cichild

heres pic

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/25/Herichthys_cyanoguttatum_(Rio_Grande_Cichlid).jpg/250px-Herichthys_cyanoguttatum_(Rio_Grande_Cichlid).jpg

Kaga's Kritters
11-26-2008, 05:09 PM
it is maybe 2-3 inches total......I was thinking of getting it, but wanted an idea of what it was first, lol. Since I added a yellow lab to my tank I have had to get rid of all the smaller less aggressive fish in it. Now I have the lab and some large gouramis and an asian upside-down catfish.........been looking for something else to add..........also may sell some or all of the gouramis.........depending on what other fish i get for the tank........

when i seen that fish the first thing i thought of was jewel cichlid, but it is obviously too light for a regular jewel........wasnt sure if their was an albino type..............are albino jewels hard to find?

Kaga's Kritters
11-26-2008, 05:10 PM
it doesnt have the spotting like that, and the bottom jaw sticks out more than the texas cichlid..........

is it a texas cichild

heres pic

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/25/Herichthys_cyanoguttatum_(Rio_Grande_Cichlid).jpg/250px-Herichthys_cyanoguttatum_(Rio_Grande_Cichlid).jpg

Red
11-26-2008, 06:35 PM
Its not a jewel and its from south america.. I am thinking it some kind of geo..

Kaga's Kritters
11-26-2008, 06:38 PM
i had found a pic of a geo of some sort and it did kind of remind me of it.........i will have to check that out more........thanks

Northernguy
11-26-2008, 06:47 PM
I also thought Geo but i can't see any stripes!
It is still small though!