PDA

View Full Version : Snail shell degeneration

gm72
11-26-2008, 12:48 PM
Looking for some input. Hardness level of my water is very low. It has been a while since I tested it but can certainly run another test if needed. pH is around 7.4. Problem: snail shells degenerate over time and I am wondering if it is because my hardness is so low. My daughter really wants to add some gold mystery snails to her tank. I am wondering if I should add some crushed coral to the canister to raise hardness?

Any advice on this?

Dave66
11-26-2008, 12:59 PM
snails need to have at least 5 ppm Calcium for shell renewal and growth, so yes, I'd say a small amount, about half a cup, of crushed coral in a canister would do the job. Just keep track of your hardness, of course.

Dave

gm72
11-26-2008, 01:05 PM
I didn't know the specific ppm, so thanks for that and thanks for clarifying what I was thinking.

This is a 29 gallon planted tank, diamond and gold pristella tetras.

Wild Turkey
11-26-2008, 01:06 PM
Looking for some input. Hardness level of my water is very low. It has been a while since I tested it but can certainly run another test if needed. pH is around 7.4. Problem: snail shells degenerate over time and I am wondering if it is because my hardness is so low. My daughter really wants to add some gold mystery snails to her tank. I am wondering if I should add some crushed coral to the canister to raise hardness?

Any advice on this?

A tough problem for me to tackle once too.

The main problems i had with my species tank with mysterys were

-Shell health
-Messiness

The messiness i solve by keeping the tank glass bottom. The mysterys are so messy and poop so much that its almost impossible to keep the tank clean with substrate in it. But it really actually looks great IMO as the mysterys kinda become the subtrate and the background.

Shell health is kind of a beotch. I BAG the CC and put in the glass bottom tank, adding calcium to the water is another option. Both of those help tremendously but diet is a huge factor too. If you can make your own algae wafers, add calcium powder to them and thats an excellent idea. Otherwise you can give them kale or other high calcium foods. I dont boil it, usually when theres a bunch of snails in the tank they eventually get to it and sink it and then its a FFA.

Once i solved those two issues, I literally spent more time removing eggs than anything else in the tank, by 5x

Northernguy
11-26-2008, 03:49 PM
Can you just add crushed coral to your substrate once you have figured out the desired amount in a bag.
What about lime?Is there a way too add some powdered lime safely to your tank and will it bring up the hardness levels?
What about adding baking soda?Will it stay in the water or be fltered out?
I am just wondering about these ideas and if any one has some input I would really appreciate it.
I would rather find a home remedy instead of spending money on chemicals at the lfs!

gm72
11-26-2008, 03:51 PM
In the second post Dave suggested adding crushed coral to the filter, but you could also add it to the substrate I'm sure. Just a matter of determining the level. For the determination I think it would just need constant testing.

Northernguy
11-26-2008, 03:54 PM
In the second post Dave suggested adding crushed coral to the filter, but you could also add it to the substrate I'm sure. Just a matter of determining the level. For the determination I think it would just need constant testing.
I always wondered why the bag ,it takes up space.I can see it for measuring the right amount but It would work better spread out in the tank ,wouldn't it?

gm72
11-26-2008, 03:58 PM
Probably, but if it were mixed in it would be very hard to remove if you get the amount wrong.

Northernguy
11-26-2008, 04:25 PM
Probably, but if it were mixed in it would be very hard to remove if you get the amount wrong.
Measure it out in the bag first and then spread it!
I can't even find any up here!
I have powdered lime and baking soda though!

Wild Turkey
11-26-2008, 04:27 PM
I use the bagged method only because i keep the bottom bare, no substrate. Before that i mixed it in no problems doing so.

I have 20 lbs of it NG i can send you some after xmas if you still need it.

Northernguy
11-26-2008, 04:32 PM
I use the bagged method only because i keep the bottom bare, no substrate. Before that i mixed it in no problems doing so.

I have 20 lbs of it NG i can send you some after xmas if you still need it.

Thanks WT, I will let you know.There is a good chance that I will be going to Toronto around Christmas.If I do than all my Xmas shopping will be done there to myself!:19: