PDA

View Full Version : A couple of Betta queries

ms1000
11-26-2008, 08:27 AM
Hi all, i have been given 3 female Betta(2 look very pregnant to me) and a male that a neighbour has kept for around a month, from what i gather he kept them together. I know this isnt reccomended.

At the moment i have the 3 females in a 10g tank and the male in a 5g, just as i had them spare. A couple of questions if you wouldnt mind as im not experienced in keeping them and ive only a basic knowledge on them after reading a little, to be honest i only took them in as the guy was leaving for another island and i had the 2 spare tanks.

1) Will the female produce the eggs on her own or does she need the male to "squeeze" the eggs from her?

2)Is the tank size correct for them?

3)Will 3 females be ok together? They seem very happy, and have not shown any flaring or aggression toward each other?

4) We are unable to get live food here, only frozen which the male turns his nose too, as he does with Betta flakes. Any other suggestions?

Thanks for reading. I know this info is probably freely available online but its nice to know from first hand experiences.

Nobodynotime
11-26-2008, 09:02 AM
I can only help with a couple questions but I'll try my best.

I think you should be fine with the tanks you have them in. As you've probably seen, betta are usually stored in much more cramped spaces and are lucky to have as much space as you are giving them! I have a 10 gal 'sorority tank' with 3 betta females and they seem to be doing fine, but keep an eye on them, just give them places to hide. And under the recommendation of another forum member I put a couple other fish in there to keep them distracted from each other (guppies for me), they aren't aggressive towards them tho they just watch 'em.

With the picky male betta you might try a trick I used to ween a picky pike from only wanting to eat feeders. I chopped up some garlic real fine and rubbed the food in the oil and it attracted him to it and eventually I didn't have to rub it in there, I guess he just associated the food with the taste and ate.
Hope this helps, and good looks on adopting the fish

ms1000
11-26-2008, 04:19 PM
Male isnt looking best pleased at the minute. Would it be because hes away from the 3 females? Would it be best to place him in a divider within the female tank?

ms1000
11-26-2008, 04:20 PM
Also ive noticed two of the females have gone to a brownish colour with horizontal stripes rather than the vivid crimson they were yesterday?

ms1000
11-26-2008, 04:23 PM
Would that be because the male was the same colour? And now theyre apart the females have gone to their original colour?

Northernguy
11-26-2008, 04:45 PM
If you put them in the same tank they will fight and possibly kill each other.
Click on the Beta link on the left and read what you can there.If you have any other questions after that please post them!
Betas are easy to keep.You can possibly start breeding them if you like.If not just keep them apart!

Nobodynotime
11-26-2008, 05:35 PM
Those vertical stripes generally mean they're ready to mate... But I wouldn't recommend trying to breed them unless you have a lot time on your hands, as Ive been told its quite a task. The male is probably just getting used to his new settings and is acting wierd

Kathyd
11-26-2008, 08:16 PM
I wouldn't worry about the male not eating. I had a male go 4 days (7 feedings!) before he finally accepted my pellets. Now he gobbles them up, he just took a while to get used to them. They also take some time getting used to a new home. Bettas don't like change. I bet he acts much more normal in a couple of days.

Mvjnz
11-27-2008, 12:50 AM
The stripes are horizontal, not vertical. Horizontal stripes means they are stressed, but this could be from being moved. I assume the tank has plants, a cycled filter and caves to hide in?

ms1000
11-27-2008, 10:11 AM
The stripes are horizontal, not vertical. Horizontal stripes means they are stressed, but this could be from being moved. I assume the tank has plants, a cycled filter and caves to hide in?

Hi, yes they are horizontal. I thought it was due them being stressed as the change in their colour is quite obvious.

As far as hiding places/caves/plants it has plenty. The tank i placed them in was cycled already and was perfect to put them in. If the horizoantl stripes dont go i dont know what else i can do. The females are eating fine??

The one and only thing thats different from their old habitat (guy i took them in from ) is the male not being in with them.

Strange and am lost for what to do? Is it worth trying the male in with them in a breeder for a short while?

Mvjnz
11-27-2008, 12:14 PM
They don't need the male in the tank. In the wild they are solitary. They're prolly just a bit stressed about being moved, give them a few days.

Nobodynotime
11-27-2008, 12:16 PM
They don't need the male in the tank. In the wild they are solitary. They're prolly just a bit stressed about being moved, give them a few days.

I agree... so its horizontal stripes that means theyre ready to mate? Somebody told me the other way around! Well now I know that my fish are actually doing fine and not stressed, just horny!

Mvjnz
11-27-2008, 12:33 PM
No the horizontal ones means stress, the vertical ones mean they're ready to mate. Sorry if I got them mixed up before.

ms1000
11-27-2008, 01:10 PM
Thanks for the reply all, very much appreciated.

Im at a bit of a loss now as to what to do with the male as in the next few days im going to need the tank back for some breeding.

Local store dont take fish over here and i dont know anyone that has a tank to keep it. I dont really want to keep him in a breeder.

ms1000
12-01-2008, 10:37 PM
3 females are fine, look a great colour and 1 is building a huge bubble Nest.

Do i have to add the male? Or can she birth on her own?

Northernguy
12-01-2008, 11:33 PM
3 females are fine, look a great colour and 1 is building a huge bubble Nest.

Do i have to add the male? Or can she birth on her own?
I believe you have to have the male in the tank with a female.Once the eggs are laid he will take care of them she will than have to be removed .He will gather the eggs and take care of them until they are born.I am not sure how long after they are born that he will begin to eat them.The fry will need their own tank after that. Read this ,it will help:http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/bettafish/breeding2.php

Mvjnz
12-02-2008, 12:53 AM
Yeah, you usually need both sexes present to produce any babies:)

It's usually the male who builds the bubble nest tho, and the female is then introduced to him.

Northernguy
12-02-2008, 01:10 AM
Yeah, you usually need both sexes present to produce any babies:)

It's usually the male who builds the bubble nest tho, and the female is then introduced to him.

Lol :c3: Yup!

ms1000
12-02-2008, 09:45 AM
Thanks for the link, great help.

All the best.