PDA

View Full Version : Changing Filter Media

saurjusa
11-25-2008, 11:48 PM
Up until now I have been carefull to change my filter media two or three days after a water change, for some reason, I never do it on the same day.

Part of the reason is that after scrubbing the front and sides with the magnet there is some heavy debri floating and I rather the filter that is going OUT rather than the one that just got IN take the heavy load, and the other part of the reason is that I believe that somehow it reduces the chance of a minicycle... is this correct?

I've stated on another thread that I'm wanting to change my substrate from gravel to sand, and my concern was precisely that I could start a minicycle, the answer was that most of the beneficial bacteria is on the filter media and that changing the substrate shouldn't start a minicycle so, what happens then when I change my filter media?

By the way, its a HOB filter....

cheers,
saurjusa

Sir Tristen
11-26-2008, 04:48 PM
When you change the filter media, you have to change out the whole thing (one single cartridge?) If that's the case, I would look into customizing your media or getting a different filter, BUT you have had success thus far.

Gravel is a decent surface for growing bacteria and will do the trick with enough water flow (hence the infamous UGF), and the bacteria will grow on any hard surface. The reason the filter has so much is the water flow and design; the bacteria loves the constant movement of water giving it oxygen and other goodies it needs. The design of most filter media has a lot of good surfaces for growing bacteria, because it can fit itself down in all the nooks and crannies.

When you change out a complete cartridge of filter media, you throw the greatest percentage of your beneficial bacteria away in one swipe which can cause a minicycle. I'd be a little wary as your tank is nearing its stocking limits. It might be best to stay w/ gravel, get another filter, or customize your media (put a coarse sponge in the spot where the cartridge goes).

saurjusa
11-26-2008, 05:52 PM
That's what I've been thinking of doing... (the sponge thing) I read in another post that using two layers of sponge and changing one at a time is a good solution for HOB filters.

Yea, that's all the fish i'll put in there, and to be honest, there were only supposed to be 10 neons but the guy from the LFS was to layzy to take one out so he didn't charge me for it! LOL... of course, neons don't make that much of a difference...

Your suggestion is to stick with the gravel until I solve the filter issue? or to stick with the gravel... period! :sconfused:

Northernguy
11-26-2008, 06:29 PM
I would get the filter cycled again so it holds the cycle and then change the substrate to sand if that was your plan.
Sir Tristan I didn't realize that there was a difference in maintaining a cycle with sand or gravel.
Someone please correct me if I am wrong!

Sir Tristen
11-26-2008, 07:37 PM
I could be wrong :14: but I believe that gravel provides better conditions as it allows more water to flow through, and it should provide more space to accomodate bacteria. Low layers of sand see little or no water movement. But, as I stated, bacteria should grow on any solid surface:) What I really wanted to emphasize is the need to keep his bacterial colonies intact until he's resolved the filter issue or risk minicycles.

So, Saurjusa, I would recommend resolving the filter issue, and then, if you want, switch to sand :c3:

Northernguy
11-26-2008, 07:40 PM
I could be wrong :14: but I believe that gravel provides better conditions as it allows more water to flow through, and it should provide more space to accomodate bacteria. Low layers of sand see little or no water movement. But, as I stated, bacteria should grow on any solid surface:) What I really wanted to emphasize is the need to keep his bacterial colonies intact until he's resolved the filter issue or risk minicycles.

So, Saurjusa, I would recommend resolving the filter issue, and then, if you want, switch to sand :c3:

Lol Sounds good!:c3:

saurjusa
11-27-2008, 03:50 PM
Got it !, and will do!

Thanks to both!