PDA

View Full Version : breeding rainbows

concretephil
11-25-2008, 11:19 PM
I currently have 4 rainbows. 3 (2m-1f ) are, I believe pink ears (I have as hard a time telling some of the rainbow sub sp apart as with plecos), and 1 male banded. the female pink ear and the banded spawned in my community tank which is salted but I never got any fry in that tank, in fact the only reason I know they spawned is because some fry turned up in another tank (which had no salt), I'm guessing some eggs stuck to the siphon and got transferred that way. I figure that the eggs in the community tank were probably eaten, but I'm also wondering if it could have anything to do with the salt as I'm planning on taking them out of the community in an effort to breeding them again. other than that the water in both tanks is identical

mac
11-30-2008, 03:39 AM
Hi,
IMO I thin it was the salt that stop the fish eggs from hatching. But as for a Pink Ear Rainbow??? Can you post a pic of it.

mac

Lady Hobbs
11-30-2008, 03:48 AM
If you have bows, you gotta have this site. Gives tons of information and species id.

http://members.optushome.com.au/chelmon/

Bows eat their own eggs as soon as they spawn. I got a big batch of them from adding java moss to the tank, watching them spawn on it and then removing the moss to another tank. That worked when I only had one species in the tank but now I have 3 species and don't want them to inter-breed so now am adding a pair to a 5 gallon (with java) and will remove the pair once they spawn.

They have the tiniest fry in the world. Pinhead size and all will be on the waters surface. Some people just put a spawning mop or java moss in a jar or pail of water that's got plants in it and the fry will eat off the plants for awhile. Then they dump them into a small, bare bottom tank with sponge filter.

concretephil
12-02-2008, 10:57 PM
thanks for the replies :) I'll try and get a picture of them up, but I'm not that great with the camera. it's funny that the fry are so small when they hatch, because the two juvies that survived from the original spawn are twice as big as my firemouths and krib juvies that were spawned around the same time.

concretephil
12-02-2008, 10:59 PM
If you have bows, you gotta have this site. Gives tons of information and species id.

http://members.optushome.com.au/chelmon/

and thanks for the link too by the way :)