PDA

View Full Version : L182 a. punctatus?

concretephil
11-25-2008, 09:25 PM
this is my first attempt to attach pics to a thread so hopefully it worked and sorry in advance for the pic quality... I bought this guy at the LFS about a week ago for about 8 bucks. it's about 3" long. it was labeled as a "white spotted" ancistrus with no L#. nothing that came up with a search for the labeled name fit. best match I could find was on planetcat's profile of L182 ancistrus punctatus aka starlight brisstlenose. can anybody confirm or have any other ideas?

Dave66
11-25-2008, 09:49 PM
It rather does look like a very young punctatus, but it's hard to tell from your photos. You can see Mike's (brookfish) here. (http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=33206) You can compare his adult to your young Ancistrus to see if they match.

Dave

Fishalicious
11-25-2008, 09:53 PM
Is it not a Spotted Sail Fin Pleco or Gold Spot Pleco? Hard to tell from the pictures but I believe the punctatus is a lot darker in color than yours

concretephil
11-25-2008, 09:57 PM
hard to say, mike's looks darker and has way more specks, but the specks seem to be the right size

concretephil
11-25-2008, 10:03 PM
he actually is a little darker than in the pics, he was a little stressed in the pics cause I had just moved him. It was a hell of a chase :) also, the original pics were much bigger, I re-sized them using the link in the how-to forum. what's the max dimensions I can go on the pics, and I can try to get them up a little bigger?

Northernguy
11-25-2008, 10:03 PM
That pleco looks a lot like mine except the tail fin has a white line across the edge. I still havent figured out exactly what kind it is.
I sure would like to.

concretephil
11-25-2008, 10:08 PM
Is it not a Spotted Sail Fin Pleco or Gold Spot Pleco?
no, it's definitely an ancistrus spec. the whiskers are small, but they're there,though Im sure it's hard to see in the pics (sorry bout that)

concretephil
11-25-2008, 10:12 PM
That pleco looks a lot like mine except the tail fin has a white line across the edge. I still havent figured out exactly what kind it is.
I sure would like to.
try lookin at L183 on yours, it also comes up as a starlight bristlenose. scotcat.com has a good picture of what I think yours might be

Northernguy
11-25-2008, 10:23 PM
I don't think mine is a bristle nose.I have a hell of a time getting a good shot of him.It is so camera shy its rediculous and I never use a flash!
Here is another shot.

concretephil
11-25-2008, 10:26 PM
try lookin at L183 on yours, it also comes up as a starlight bristlenose. scotcat.com has a good picture of what I think yours might be
whoops, nevermind, I didn't see your pics there. doesn't look like L183. sorry bout that. I'll keep a heads up tho while I continue to try and figure out mine and let ya know if I find anything

Northernguy
11-26-2008, 12:04 AM
whoops, nevermind, I didn't see your pics there. doesn't look like L183. sorry bout that. I'll keep a heads up tho while I continue to try and figure out mine and let ya know if I find anything

Sounds good.They look the same but yours has bristles.
I'll figure out what it is one day.

fraggle
11-26-2008, 12:40 AM
Hey Ray, your is a Pterygoplichthys, it has more than 10 rays in it's dorsal fin, will see if I can put a name to it.

fraggle
11-26-2008, 01:00 AM
Ray I'd say it was P.joselimaianus, it's got the gold spots on the dark background, P.gibbiceps has dark spots on a light back ground, and most of the others are more stripy/wormy patterns. HTH Cheers mate! :)

Northernguy
11-26-2008, 01:41 AM
Ray I'd say it was P.joselimaianus, it's got the gold spots on the dark background, P.gibbiceps has dark spots on a light back ground, and most of the others are more stripy/wormy patterns. HTH Cheers mate! :)
Thanks so much!
Does it have a common name besides pleco? lol
I looked it up and it said commonly known as Gold Spot Pleco.It'll do!