PDA

View Full Version : Latest addition to the house of Stone

Gemstone
11-25-2008, 06:08 PM
As if 10 cats, 3 rhodesian ridgebacks...a parrot, 2 lovebirds, dwarf russian hamsters....and a myriad of assorted fishes are not enough..........saltwater included...*ok..1 gobi..dont hold it against me*............was not enough....

the son..who today wrote his last school examination and is now officially out of school and on his southern hemisphere summer vaction...has informed me that he is now the proud owner..of...I kid you not....a rat.

No folks...not just any old rat.....oh noooooooo ooohhh oooohhhh.....

What kind...you ask me??....

WEllllllllllllllllllllllll...the true white as snow with pink eyes true as bob...albino type...you know..the type that gives us normal girls the whillie nillies....*shudderzzz*

He will be with his dad for the first part of the xmas season..followed by the daughter when her school comes out..but when they come home...apparently..mr rat...shall be ensconsed in the house of Stone...along with aforementioned creatures of 4 legs..2 legs...and other assorted appendages....

Excuse me for now...I am off to get a valium.........

MrJim
11-25-2008, 06:25 PM
:19: Congratulations~hey maybe the cats will take care of it for ya, by accident of course...

invadertoast
11-25-2008, 08:27 PM
You will learn to love it!! Rats make incredible pets, teach it some tricks and you'll get over the creepiness very quickly, trust me (I had 21 rats growing up, and my whole family, including extended family, grew to love the little guys!)

Wild Turkey
11-25-2008, 09:25 PM
Rats make better pets than any other rodent IMO. I have two females right now and have had rats all my life.

Excellent pets, great personality, very smart.

Lady Hobbs
11-25-2008, 09:50 PM
Well, just reading your post I got chills down my arms so guess rats would not be my favorite.

Wild Turkey
11-25-2008, 09:58 PM
Well, just reading your post I got chills down my arms so guess rats would not be my favorite.

Bet i can change some minds with a few pics....wheres my camera....

Wild Turkey
11-25-2008, 10:10 PM
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa132/Turkey151/Fish/DSCF1089.jpg

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa132/Turkey151/Fish/DSCF1088.jpg

The white female didnt wanna come out, but i'll take some more later. Tell me shes not cute, and thats the mean one. (males are always docile, females are hit or miss.)

The ears are so cute hehe

She is greying as shes getting close to the end of her life cycle (around 3 years)

jd6405
11-27-2008, 01:24 AM
Congrats on the new family member!!!!!!! I too have had pet rats all my life. They are WONDERFUL pets!!! I just posted a ton of info about them in this thread: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=33265

angelcakes
11-27-2008, 04:42 PM
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa132/Turkey151/Fish/DSCF1089.jpg

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa132/Turkey151/Fish/DSCF1088.jpg

The white female didnt wanna come out, but i'll take some more later. Tell me shes not cute, and thats the mean one. (males are always docile, females are hit or miss.)

The ears are so cute hehe

She is greying as shes getting close to the end of her life cycle (around 3 years)
reminds me of my friends old rat arfur........which is no longer with us,gemstone have you pics? rats are so cute:19:

cocoa_pleco
11-27-2008, 09:12 PM
cant have them here in Alberta, its just a plague preventative. rats cant enter the province no matter what unless its proffesional science where they will properly do whatever

first time i ever saw a rat was in petsmart when i was 16 and went to Washington

jd6405
11-27-2008, 10:29 PM
cant have them here in Alberta, its just a plague preventative. rats cant enter the province no matter what unless its proffesional science where they will properly do whatever

first time i ever saw a rat was in petsmart when i was 16 and went to Washington

Oh the ol rats and plague thing! :laugh1blue: The rats did not carry the plague - it was the fleas the rats carried that gave the plague to humans. A rat that had the plague lived very few hours before it actually died once it was infected. Just a public service message from lil' ol me!

cocoa_pleco
11-27-2008, 11:28 PM
kinda sucks, but basically no fish is illegal to keep here (piranhas, rays, arowana, etc) so that makes up for it

jd6405
11-28-2008, 02:03 AM
kinda sucks, but basically no fish is illegal to keep here (piranhas, rays, arowana, etc) so that makes up for it

Ya, I guess that makes it all better!!! :c2:

BnT
11-29-2008, 01:15 AM
Rats make awesome pets! Much better than hamsters, gerbils, ect and I highly recommend them to people who want but can't have dogs. They can learn their names, learn neat little tricks (Climb ropes, climb latters, "dance", to fetch, ect), can be POTTY TRAINED, ect. Very neat little animals. Along with dogs and fish, rats are my thing. It's what I'm into and what I will always have if I can help it.

They're such sweet animals and the bond they gain towards their owners makes the fact their lifespan is so short even worse. I always bawl like a baby when mine die. Eyes pouring with tears, runny nose, hyperventilating...I can only imagine loosing them is like loosing a dog or cat. They're just so unique and when they go they cling to their owners like no other animal I've ever seen, they want to be with YOU, they don't want you to let them go. I've been with most all mine that have passed. I had one who was starting to die, escaped his cage and came to my bed to get me and layed in my lap until he passed over a few minutes later.

Give them a try, I'm sure you'll get to like them once you see how great of pets they are. Though I recommend two because they're incredibly social animals and do everything with their cagemates from eating to playing to grooming. And with their grooming habits, they're a lot like cats. Very clean animals.

I had a friend who disliked rats until my girl had her first litter. She would come over and handle the babies and ended up really liking them.

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i224/PurplexPoodle/Rats/HPIM1522.jpg

How can you NOT think thats cute?!?!

And yes, the FLEA on the rat carried the plague. If DOMESTICATED (Difference in domesticated and wild) rats carried the diseases that people say they do, I'd think by now I'd be dead since I've always shared food with mine. thumbs2:

Did you know that there are rat shows? Just like dog shows! They're based on conformation and temperment. ;) You should check them out, it's a great way to learn about rats.

jd6405
11-29-2008, 01:51 AM
Did you know that there are rat shows? Just like dog shows! They're based on conformation and temperment. ;) You should check them out, it's a great way to learn about rats.

Rat shows are a hoot!! So much fun and what a great way to share a love for the pets I so desperately love! I had one of my girls about 10 years ago win Best In Show! What an honor!!!