PDA

View Full Version : Green algae in a cycling aquarium...

Orion
11-25-2008, 12:21 AM
Hi guys,

I'm currently cycling my planted 92 gallon tank. I have the bacteria population to take 3ppm of ammonia down to none in about a 12-18 hour period. However, nitrite is a different story. I've had a solid 1.5 ppm of nitrites for about a week now. Patiently waiting for the nitrite bacteria to flourish to get this level down.

I have ~3w/gal lighting and currently injecting about 3 bubbles of Co2/sec. I've dosed flourish twice now. I've had the plants in for about a week. I finally got the Co2 pumping in yesterday. However, I am now getting a breakout of this wispy green algae growing on the broad leaf plants and driftwood. Even a little on the side of the tank wall. It seems to have exploded as the Co2 went in. So I've just cut Co2 down to like 1 bubble/second.

What more can/should I do to keep this under control. I hesitate to do a water change because the tank is in the midst of cycling.

Regards,
Chris

concretephil
11-26-2008, 12:19 AM
my first thought is a couple of chinese algae eaters, but I don't know if they will also attack your plants or if they are hardy enough for a cycling tank so make sure to investigate the species before you try em. if compatible, you'll be hard pressed to find a better or quicker way to get rid of the algae. I put 6 in a 55gal that I had let get to the point that it was like wall to wall shag carpet and it was completely clean in 3 days. but again let me stress that you check up on the species first cause I would hate for them to go belly up or devour your plants

Dave66
11-26-2008, 12:39 AM
Your tank is new, thus nutrient levels are in flux as your plants are attempting to reach equilibrium. If you've a canister filter, place one of the phosphate/silicate removal substances in one of the media baskets. That will reduce phosphate to natural levels, removing the 'food' that's getting the algae going.
Buying fish isn't the answer. Stopping the source of the algae is.

Dave

Orion
11-26-2008, 07:24 PM
Your tank is new, thus nutrient levels are in flux as your plants are attempting to reach equilibrium. If you've a canister filter, place one of the phosphate/silicate removal substances in one of the media baskets. That will reduce phosphate to natural levels, removing the 'food' that's getting the algae going.
Buying fish isn't the answer. Stopping the source of the algae is.

Dave

Agreed. Yes, I do have a cannister so that would be no problem. But do the plants also require phosphate as well or is that used entirely by algae? I want to get rid of this stuff but do not want to inhibit the plant's ability to grow either.

korith
11-26-2008, 08:07 PM
On another forum one person said they put daphnia into a small breeder net. Ended up clearing the green in a short amount of time.

Taurus
11-26-2008, 08:54 PM
Hi guys,

What more can/should I do to keep this under control. I hesitate to do a water change because the tank is in the midst of cycling.

Regards,
Chris

Doing partial water changes should not affect your cycle. The changes will help keep ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates in check.

Dave66
11-27-2008, 02:42 AM
Agreed. Yes, I do have a cannister so that would be no problem. But do the plants also require phosphate as well or is that used entirely by algae? I want to get rid of this stuff but do not want to inhibit the plant's ability to grow either.

Only Phosphate in excess plus light equals algae. You need not worry about depriving your plants of Phosphate, because your fish produce it via their metabolism. And those removal substances stabilize Phosphate at the natural level of .01-0.2 ppm.

Dave