PDA

View Full Version : Driftwood advice needed

henryscat
11-24-2008, 07:18 PM
Hi all,
i've read several things all over the place about preparing driftwood that you have found for your tank.

However I need some clarification here.

I have found a piece that has a nice long indent to grow plants into but some of the wood is quite soft and flakes away quite easily.
Within one of the flaked pieces i found a small red worm-thing.
Should the driftwood i find be completely solid or am i barking up the wrong tree?!?! :19: :19: sorry i couldn't resist!

Anyway anyone in the know, please advise!

p.s. i'm from scotland so finding a DRY piece of wood anywhere is technically impossible

Red
11-24-2008, 07:25 PM
I would boil it... And then go from there..

gourami*girl
11-24-2008, 07:32 PM
I'll agree, boil it for a while in a big pot (you don't want the red worm thingies in your tank, lol), give it a good scrub, and see how the piece of wood does. With the scrubbing, you'll knock away the really loose parts and see how the integrity of rest of the piece is. Good luck!

henryscat
11-24-2008, 07:35 PM
It's too big for a pot, but i've read that sticking it in the dishwasher is a good idea?
My plan for it was to dishwash it, scrub the hell out of it, then steep it in a big bucket of hot water.
Then soak it to get rid of the staining colours (the tea colour that seeps from them)

Red
11-24-2008, 07:39 PM
hmm...
I would get a big rubbermaid thing and put the hottest water you can stand and scrub it a lot and then empty the water and put brand new water in there and then let it sit and every other day dump and repeat...

Northernguy
11-24-2008, 07:55 PM
I would grab a chisel and clean out as much of the soft stuff as possible.
Clean off any lose debris and bark,as much as possible.It makes it easier to get rid of unwanted hitch hikers.I added salt to the water.
Put it in a large plastic tub and give it a good cleaning and rinse very well.Now place it in the dishwasher .If you want it to be water logged you will have to soak it for a while weighted down with a rock,I have been waiting for 3 months for some.Soaking it will also leach out the tannins that will turn your water a tea color.I like it and fish love it!
Post some pics when you get it done!

AABatteries
11-24-2008, 09:45 PM
If you do put it in the dishwasher, DO NOT use soap.

henryscat
11-24-2008, 11:03 PM
will post up when finished - hoping to use this in a 4ft tank my folks should be giving me soon. Will be asking advice on the fishies i pick for it too. I love this forum!
Been succesfully running a cold water tank for quite a few months now and i have the bug! Want tropical fish now but i want the decor to be as natural as possible.

And yeah - no dishwasher powder- check! :19:

Gemini
11-25-2008, 04:25 AM
If your putting it in the dishwasher just make sure you don't have a built in rinse aid dispenser. I have a rinse aid thingo I just fill up every few months and it puts some in each wash. So make sure if you have one of them you empty it first.

Northernguy
11-25-2008, 05:29 AM
If your putting it in the dishwasher just make sure you don't have a built in rinse aid dispenser. I have a rinse aid thingo I just fill up every few months and it puts some in each wash. So make sure if you have one of them you empty it first.

Good thinking Gemini,I have the old fashion kind.By hand!:19:

Lady Hobbs
11-25-2008, 09:01 AM
I think if the wood is soft I would find something else. I get my wood out of the river that's already waterlogged and toss it in a trash can in a strong salt solution to kill any bugs and take a wire brush to it.

gm72
11-25-2008, 11:40 AM
Outstanding advice in this thread, great job to everyone!

henryscat
11-25-2008, 02:46 PM
Great advice indeed - i wouldn't go anywhere else for it either thumbs2:

I've been chiselling said piece of wood today and found that once all the soft stuff has been removed, it's an even better shape than I thought it was.
Keep finding these little red wormy things but i like the salt water in a bucket idea to killl anything off.

My 33gallon tank is almost ready for collection so i'm gonna need a bigger piece of driftwood anyway - will have a look locally this week for anything better. I know a great place on the river just down the road that catches a lot of wood.

Massive thanks to everyone that has provided info on this thread btw! Much appreciated!