PDA

View Full Version : Our coral banded shrimps a thief

labnjab
11-24-2008, 05:56 PM
So this afternoon, I decided to try feeding my frogspawn again. This time I almost succeeded. It was taking the brine shrimp, but a few seconds later, I see the red and white claw of my CBS reaching up from a cave (I never see this guy during the day) and stealing all the shrimp from the frogspawn's tentacles. So I sorta scare him away, and try a few more shrimp, and hes right back there. Talk about an opportunistic feeder, lol. I wish I had my camera nearby cause it would have been a priceless shot.

Just for my peace of mind, is there any chance that the frogspawn will harm the coral banded shrimp or any inverts, or are their shells too tough?

unleashed
11-24-2008, 07:01 PM
No harm whatsoever. However, there is more of a chance that your coral banded shrimp will turn into a killer.

I had one catch, kill and eat a gold stripe maroon clown once.........

labnjab
11-24-2008, 07:58 PM
No harm whatsoever. However, there is more of a chance that your coral banded shrimp will turn into a killer.

I had one catch, kill and eat a gold stripe maroon clown once.........

I catch him even eying our clowns, he's getting a permanent residence in our fuge when we get it going, and if he ever kills a fish, he's gonna have a buttery grave...jk:27:

Halelorf
11-24-2008, 10:47 PM
Take the top of a two liter soda bottle, cut that off and drill some holes, then sink it into the substrate around the coral and feed through the top. That way the shrimp can't steal any while the coral eats.

kaybee
11-24-2008, 11:10 PM
It's for that very reason I keep the crustacean presence in my reef tank to a bare minimum (they were notorious to stealing food from my corals).

oldhead
11-25-2008, 12:16 AM
There is a chance that he might go after the coral for the food also, not a pretty sight....