PDA

View Full Version : Buy a fish, save a tree?

William
11-24-2008, 12:31 PM
I found this an interesting story and iniative so I decided to write a news post about it. I think everybody should read it.:c3:

Buy a fish, save a tree?

(http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/../news/lib/180)

Nobodynotime
11-24-2008, 12:53 PM
Great article! I wonder if an even better idea is to give them the means to produce their own captive bred fish so they do not have to take from the tributaries. Teach a man to fish type scenario... Good stuff

Tigerbarb
11-24-2008, 03:31 PM
It will all be great until more and more people get into it, and the cardinal tetra population declines. People in the Amazon won't stop harvesting them once the population declines, causing cardinal tetras to eventually go on the endangered species list.

Nobodynotime
11-24-2008, 04:06 PM
That is true! But if they could capture a few wild ones and had the means and knowledge to reproduce them on a larger, more aquarium and environmentally friendly level scale it would be a great alternative to logging and such for cash. Or maybe its just easier to catch a fish in the wild than to put forth all that effort raising them.

Wild Turkey
11-24-2008, 04:10 PM
Great article will. Just goes to show, fishing isnt all bad.

One things trees and fish have in common, they are both a renewable resource. I think some of the bleeding hearts tend to forget this sometimes....

William
11-25-2008, 12:43 AM
No, all fishig hunting etc are not bad. It just a question of finding the right sustainable level. That can however unfortunately can be hard to do.

JimTheBetta
11-25-2008, 02:35 AM
Good article, but i can't be the only one who had a good chuckle when they saw the title.

Algenco
11-25-2008, 03:11 AM
even with the high demands Cardinals are present by the millions

Red
11-25-2008, 03:12 AM
even with the high demands Cardinals are present by the millions

so are trees

Algenco
11-25-2008, 03:20 AM
so are trees

The problem is they don't use selective harvest practices, it all clear cut, burn, and turn into agricultural lands.

The locals that catch fish for the aquarium trade are very protective of their lively hood.

They also have no way to handle massive harvests.

Algenco
11-25-2008, 03:26 AM
Here is a video of collectors harvesting Otocinclus, it will give you an idea just how massive fish stocks are in the Amazon

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilnitMs1LRk

Red
11-25-2008, 03:33 AM
So lets knock out the fish species until they become nearly extinct and move on to the next fish... It just does not add up for me.

Algenco
11-25-2008, 03:38 AM
So lets knock out the fish species until they become nearly extinct and move on to the next fish... It just does not add up for me.

Why do you think they have to be knocked out?
Wild harvest of fish in the Amazon doesn't make a dent in the population, degradation of habitat on the other hand has sent many species of fish and animal to extinction.

Wild Turkey
11-25-2008, 04:39 AM
Why do you think they have to be knocked out?
Wild harvest of fish in the Amazon doesn't make a dent in the population, degradation of habitat on the other hand has sent many species of fish and animal to extinction.

Yup, people have been fishing for a long time, usually if fishing even has any effect whatsoever, it becomes a scape goat for destroying the species, when usually the true cause is environmental issues that are much harder to solve.

But, its easier to make a new law and write some tickets and make some money, than to fix real problems.