PDA

View Full Version : My poor fish

lovleeko
11-23-2008, 07:16 PM
My poor baby. My fave female betta is all ripped up. I had my bleeding hearts in with my other betta and recently I had moved them to another tank. Not because of complications or anything. Just a decision on my part. Well, I added one of my otehr female bettas to the tank (see where this is going?)
And they were doing fine. She is a sweet girl and it is a big tank so she kind of hung out and even went over to the filter side to swim in the strong current sometimes. She's so cute! Well, her fins had just healed up from a busted attempt at a betta sorority.

The bleeding hearts seemed interested in her some what and they would go over to her. That was it though. Just go over to her. Well this morning I woke and they have eaten her alive!!! Her tail is almost gone! I know it was them because they were searching her out and still chasing her out of her hiding spots. It wasn't provoked, they were hunting her down!!!! I'm shocked. Since I have had these things they have been paired with a betta. I could not feel worse because her fins had just suffered some damage and healed up after a good while waiting. I feel more guilt than you could imagine. My poor fish. I thought they were fine. They were!!! It's like their naughty children and waited until I went to bed to misbehave.

Anyway, would you guys recommend melafix? Her tail healed good on its own last time but it was a tear on a much smaller scale. I'm really worried about this ones guys. The tank I will be putting her in isn't cycled so it wont hurt bacteria. I have brine shrimp which I know promotes some healing. Any suggestions would be nice.

gm72
11-23-2008, 07:52 PM
Melafix isn't necessary as this is not an infection but rather an injury. Some folks will however tell you that Melafix is a good preventative measure though. I would just add stress coat and watch her carefully. You'll also obviously have to keep close eye on water parameters as the tank isn't cycled. If you could add some established media to the new tank you will be better off.

The bleeding hearts going after her doesn't surprise me unfortunately. Sorry to hear of your trouble and hope all goes well with the healing process.

lovleeko
11-23-2008, 08:36 PM
Thanks. She is in a 2.5 gallon tank. And one of my other bettas is in the exact same set up so I prety much know when to change it before ammonia is a prob. So no melafix. Good to know. I have to go to the store soon. Really? It doesn't surprise you? Like I said, I had them in with bettas before. So I dont understand why they snapped. Weird. I hope they dont gain a habit of doing this. I've never found them to be nippy. Guess I was wrong. Thanks for your opinion and advise.

Melafix isn't necessary as this is not an infection but rather an injury. Some folks will however tell you that Melafix is a good preventative measure though. I would just add stress coat and watch her carefully. You'll also obviously have to keep close eye on water parameters as the tank isn't cycled. If you could add some established media to the new tank you will be better off.

The bleeding hearts going after her doesn't surprise me unfortunately. Sorry to hear of your trouble and hope all goes well with the healing process.

lovleeko
11-23-2008, 11:59 PM
Now I'm wondering about putting my dwarf cichlids in there. Originally that was the plan. I wonder if it will be okay.

Kayla-Bug
11-24-2008, 03:38 AM
Be careful with the Melafix. Labryinth fish are sensitive to the stuff. I dose with only half of what they call for and haven't had any problems.

lovleeko
11-24-2008, 09:10 PM
Okay, I will thanks so much!

Be careful with the Melafix. Labryinth fish are sensitive to the stuff. I dose with only half of what they call for and haven't had any problems.