PDA

View Full Version : Biofilter/sumpfilter

FINWHIPPED
01-21-2007, 04:18 PM
Does anyone have experience with internal biologigal filters? I was thinking of addidng a biological filter to my tank ( 63 US Gal) but is affraid of leakages as we often suffer power outtages. Then I saw a picture of an internal bio filter and went searching. SERA and VIA AQUA have them on their product lists. Flow rate in the region of 400 l/h for the bigger models.

Fishguy2727
01-21-2007, 11:44 PM
Are you talking about a sump with trickle/ wet/dry filtration? They are usually made so that the working water line is low enough so that if the power does go out the sump won't overflow. I think the best one would be Marineland's whick includes a Bio-Wheel. Much less maintenance than the bio-ball type setups that need maintenance to keep debris from building up and causing nitrate spikes and cutting off oxygen to the nitrifying bacteria.

FINWHIPPED
01-22-2007, 02:56 PM
As a newby to fishkeeping, I have no idea what a bio-wheel is. Even after visiting some of the importers and wholesalers I never saw any. I read about them here. Please point me towards a reputable dealer as such things we need to import ourselves. After all, we live on the dark continent!!

I ordered the internal bio-filter mentioned before and will have it during the week. Not too expensive so if is not up to the task, no big loss.

Sump filters increase the volume of water available to the setup but this one sits inside the tank, so no benifit there.

Fishguy2727
01-22-2007, 11:38 PM
Bio-Wheels are made by Marineland and the HOB lines are the Penguins and Emperors. Check out Marineland's website here (http://marineland.com/).