PDA

View Full Version : Introducing Malaysian trumpet snails

Nobodynotime
11-23-2008, 04:15 AM
I just got some of these from my LFS for free to feed my green puffer and he loves the little ones. I put him in a breeder box for him to feed so the snails don't infest my tank. But I was thinking that I possibly might have other fish that would enjoy some snails in their diet, in particular my bala shark and my ghost knife, or maybe my raphael or slithery loach dealy, I have gouramis and rainbow fish too, but I'm not sure if they would eat these or not. Also I was wondering if there's any beneficial quality to have these little guys in my tank.

smaug
11-23-2008, 04:33 AM
like it or not you will likely end up with them whether you want them or not.They are not detrimental.However,balas,raphs,knifes do not eat snails,and I doubt even the puffer will be able to bite through mts when they get full size.

Northernguy
11-23-2008, 04:37 AM
You could always get assassin snails to combat the mts.lol They are small and have a really nice shell.
Snails eat excess food and algae.If you have sand they help decrease gas pockets.

Wild Turkey
11-23-2008, 04:45 AM
So wait, you mean ur netting the fish every time you would it? If not sorry im confused.

Dont do that if so though, just let the snails go he'll hunt some down and like suggested you can get other stuff to eat them and they are not detrimental to anything else in the tank or the water chemistry. They arent severely invasive like pond snails either, and they have other pluses like mentioned above.

Nobodynotime
11-23-2008, 05:59 AM
Haha yea it was a pain luckily hes kinda slow. But yea i threw a few in there along with a few that had a circular shell that was in the batch, don't know what they are but they're not that big. I'm intrigued by these assassin snails you speak of the name is pretty bada**, almost oxymoronic. Are they rare to find?

Adrian
11-23-2008, 06:18 AM
I got some MTS from a LFS, and believe it or not, I can't find a single one in my tank, and I don't have any fish that will eat snails. I don't have assassin snails either. I don't know what happened to them. Aughhhhh! And I wanted them too, as they are great for working thru the substrate........

Wild Turkey
11-23-2008, 06:19 AM
assassin snails you speak of the name is pretty bada**, almost oxymoronic. Are they rare to find?

One my friends said the exact same thing the other day. The other snails you described sound like pond snails, and no assassins arent that rare.

I got some MTS from a LFS, and believe it or not, I can't find a single one in my tank, and I don't have any fish that will eat snails. I don't have assassin snails either. I don't know what happened to them. Aughhhhh! And I wanted them too, as they are great for working thru the substrate........

If you have sand they probably buried themselves and or hiding.

Northernguy
11-23-2008, 06:26 AM
Yup sounds like pond snails.There is someone in the forum that sells assassin snails.They may chime in soon!

Nobodynotime
11-23-2008, 04:45 PM

I've heard that they can go into like a collective hibernation and won't be around for a while and then all of the sudden *bam* they come back stronger than before. Maybe thats what happened to your snails, but I could be wrong!

Mvjnz
11-24-2008, 06:00 AM
Puffers shouldn't eat MTS, as their shells are really hard and it could damage their beaks. They should be fed other types of snails, such as pond snails.

Nobodynotime
11-24-2008, 06:09 AM
Hmm I was told I had to fed them such things or else their beaks will grow over their mouth and eventually they wouldn't be able to eat

Gemini
11-24-2008, 06:58 AM
You do need to feed them snails - it's just the MTS have really strong shells. My africans have a blast trying to get them open. I have tried and tried to crush an MTS and not possible.
You can feed them pond snails, mystery snails etc. It's just the MTS that have strong snails.
Sounguru is selling some assassins. PM him and ask if he has any left.

Nobodynotime
11-24-2008, 07:10 AM
cool beans! thanks alot the little ones are really easy to crush and eat but i see what your saying about the larger ones. I do have some pond snails in the batch so ill try and get them to enjoy my tank

Gemini
11-24-2008, 07:22 AM
Pop the pond snails in the tank and you'll probably never have to worry about it again! Pond snails just multiply and multiply - but with any luck you'll have a constant food supply for your puffer!
Good luck:19: