PDA

View Full Version : want to add an Angelfish

Eileen
11-23-2008, 04:14 AM
I was wondering if anyone added a single angelfish to a community tank .I have these fish in the tank. Glow-light tetras, Rasboras, corys, ottos, mollies, dwarf rainbow fish. I talked to one person and she said that if you get them really small it should do ok with the above fish as they grow up together because she had one in with her platys and it is fine. I heard that they are aggressive plus I had one long ago and it was a bully to the other fish. I did not want to get a pair as this might cause problems in the tank. My tank is 55 gals, planted , uv with a sanitizer, 75 gal. bio filter with 2 bubble wand in the back with a sand bottom, ph 7.5, heater set at 75. I like Anglefish better then a gouramis and can't decide on one larger fish that will get along with the above and control any fry from the livebearers. I have 23 fish in the tank fishes are 1-1 1/2 inch big .

smaug
11-23-2008, 04:20 AM
I have a single angel in my tank not by choice but by battle!He has been king of the tank for a few years now and is doing fine.Many disagree because angels are thought to prefer company but I have seen no signs of distress from mine.I say go for it,as for the smaller fish becoming lunch,I have also found that if the angel grows up with little fish it wont see those little fish as food.That being said,mine doesn't eat the glowlights and dwarf corys in my tank but every time I have tried to add either neons or other small fish they get eaten.

Sharkman
11-23-2008, 04:27 AM
what size tank is it?

smaug
11-23-2008, 04:29 AM
what size tank is it?
the post says 55gal

Eileen
11-23-2008, 04:40 AM
Thanks for the fast reply back. I think that once my gold dust mollies 4 babies get bigger I will add a small 1" tiny anglefish. I saw some tiny ones in the lfs. I will have to watch them for awhile as I noticed some picked on the other angles more. I will have to pick a non aggressive one from their tank. I was told they all have their personality.

smaug
11-23-2008, 04:44 AM
Just be careful your existing fish dont tear up the baby angel.They dont get real tough till they get half size.

mac
11-23-2008, 05:29 AM
Hi,
I keep a lone male Angel in my 50 gallon tank with no problems.

So as smaug has said go for it.

But watch the other fish, that they don't get aggressive with the baby Angel.

mac

Eileen
11-23-2008, 06:25 AM
All my fish in the community 55 gal tank are really peaceful toward each other. The mom molly had babies the day after I got her from the lfs and they are only 2 wks old now and they have been swimming everywhere in the tank and they are not bothered by anyone. I thought they might be eaten by the bigger fish. I think they are to big to be eaten. I can't wait to raise a tiny baby anglefish and watch it grow into a big one. I have all the plants in the back and to each side. It will have a large area to swim in the tank and grow.

DrNic
11-23-2008, 05:45 PM
Just keep an eye on the tank. With other fish that size, things should be ok as the angel gets older. Just keep a headcount if possible. If you start missing fish pull the angel.

Algenco
11-23-2008, 06:38 PM
should be fine, the angel will enjoy the mollie babies:18:

C-Dub
11-23-2008, 10:08 PM
I agree, if brought up with the smaller fish the Angel will almost never eat them. But add anything new and it's fair game.