PDA

View Full Version : My silly Tigger

harrykharmabean
11-23-2008, 03:09 AM
Hi everyone,
This is my first time on the site, was lucky to find it from Ask.com, anyhow, I have a question about my Clown Loach (Tigger) my favorite fish in the whole world. Well he's 2 1/2 yrs. and he's been the most interesting and great fish I have ever had the pleasure to watch and take care of. He's been great, somtimes he thinks he's a catfish, and other times he thinks he's a sucker fish, it's like he's always had an idenity crisis, and can't make up his mind what kind of fish he is. But recently (last 3 days) he's been hiding out in the coral castle. I have read all kinds of stuff, and his personality fits perfectly until now. I'm worried, he's my baby. Is this normal, or should I worry?
Thanks for letting me ask my question about my fish, and I know it may sound silly, but these fish are my babies, I have some that are older than Tigger.

Thanks, Harry

Northernguy
11-23-2008, 04:45 AM
Welcome to the AC!
In order to help you we need to know
What size is your tank?
What have you for filtration?
Have you a water test kit?
What are your perameters?
What else is in the tank with it?
Here is more info for you:
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/fish/macracanthus.php

mac
11-23-2008, 05:00 AM
Hi,
As NorthGuy has already asked, I have to say the same.

My Loaches from time to time act like that. but they only do it when the Barometer drops. Well that is all I can put it down to, with my fish. Then all is well. May be you might have a large storm near by?

But I think I can see your problem. You only have one of the Clowns don't you?

Well these fish love to be in a school. So a school of 5-6 fish is best. But to have Clown Loaches you will need a tank quite large well over 150 gallons.

mac

harrykharmabean
11-25-2008, 06:41 PM
Thanks Mac.
I have had tigger almost as long as I've had my tank, almost 3 years, and he's done real well, I said he had befriended my Algi eater, and my catfish. He's so amazing. The weather has changed here in Las Vegas, so maybe his behavior has something to do with it. I do have one more question. I have noticed lately that he seems to be breating way to fast, his little gills seem to be working over time. Is this because he's trying to say in one place. I've never seen a fish lay on his side or lay up against a wall veritcal for hours. I'm sorry for asking so many questions, you're the first person to actually have any kind of answer.

Thanks again,
Harri

Dave66
11-25-2008, 09:10 PM
Botias (or Chromobotias, as your clown loach is), tend to rest at odd angles in the aquarium, Clown Loaches especially. It's perfectly normal behavior.
The fast breathing, however, is a concern. Have you had any fish deaths recently? Added more fish? Fast breathing like that can be the result of an Ammonia surge, which burns the sensitive linings of the gills, making it difficult for the fish to breath.

You really need to purchase some regent (liquid)-based test kits Harri, at the very least for Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate. Clown Loaches can easily live 25 years, so you really want to know what's going on in your tank.

Dave

Northernguy
11-25-2008, 11:33 PM
If you were to answer my questions you would recieve much more accurate advice from anyone of us,for now it is pretty much just a guess..That choice is yours.I would really like to know what size your tank is and some pics would also be nice!