PDA

View Full Version : smallest pleco

Mustang Boy
11-22-2008, 11:31 PM
what is the smallest easily acquired pleco on the market and how long do they get

Red
11-22-2008, 11:34 PM
Clown pleco and dwarf bristlenose pleco.. But i would NOT put a pleco in anything less then a 20gal.

Mustang Boy
11-22-2008, 11:48 PM
this is for a 29g but i am planning on my centerpiece fish being a pair of GBR and dont want a pleco that will get larger than the GBR and the pleco wouldnt be the only algae eater as i have a few oto in the tank too but they will be needing some back up soon cause the tank is right next to a window and has a little bit of an algae problem already starting to form

edit: i just did some research and wow are them zebras expensive but they are the perfect size for what i am looking for

Northernguy
11-23-2008, 12:12 AM
How much are they there?
I can get them here for under ten bucks each.

Mustang Boy
11-23-2008, 12:41 AM
i went to aquabid and the cheapest one i found was $100

but if any1 knows of a place where they are reasonably priced please post a link

freshwaterfishlover
11-23-2008, 02:00 AM
Bitbull Pleco 2" Max

Mustang Boy
11-23-2008, 02:29 AM
now the pitbull pleco could be a good possibility since they are so small and are pretty cheap

cer
11-23-2008, 02:33 AM
pitbull plecos i agree with mustang boy

Mustang Boy
11-23-2008, 03:12 AM
i have a question about the pitbull pleco though i read that they need to be in groups of 5 or more and i was wondering if this was true

smaug
11-23-2008, 03:27 AM
Clowns stay small but dont do much algae eating and they need wood in there diet.That paired with there shyness makes for a fish that needs lots of hidy holes,I seldom see mine.

Mustang Boy
11-23-2008, 04:15 PM
i dont think clowns would be my ticket then cause i need something that will take care of algae pretty well cause i dont think oto will be able to do it by themselves so they are gonna need some back up and if i dont need to have a whole ton of pitbulls i might decide to go with them

Red
11-23-2008, 04:16 PM
Mustang you would be surprised on what otos can do.... I would get 4 of them and if they dont solve the problem get more of them...

Mustang Boy
11-23-2008, 04:48 PM
i had a problem with brown diatoms and they destroyed it in a couple of days but since i went away for 2 months i have started to grow all kinds of algae and i hardly see the oto now(infact i have only seen them 2 at a time so i think one of them may have died and gotten lost in the tank somewhere cause i see no body but on the same note i rarely see the oto so..) but i may get some more once my lfs gets more in stock

Jacolene
11-24-2008, 01:29 AM
The bristlenose only get to around 13" you could have them in your size tank and they breed easy too. There is also more then one veriety to choose from, the normal BN, the GBA (looks like a albino but with black/blue eyes), albino (golden yellow with pink eyes) or you could even try some peppermint pleacs. They are super easy to care for, loves alge, but won't harm your plants and eat all kinds off vedgies. The love caves but is not too shy. You could have one or a couple in your size tank.

Mustang Boy
11-29-2008, 11:34 PM
well i went to the only non chain petstore that had oto in stock and grabbed 4 more(3 for my 29 and one more for my 10) and since my algae problem is so bad and since the tank is right next to a window that gets loads of light i went ahead and got a Bristlenose(wouldve rather got an albino or a couple pitbull pleco) also again cause it is almost like having a moss wall on one side cause the algae is so thick and it is crossing across the front of my tank pretty thickly too

Harls
11-30-2008, 12:01 AM
Bristlenose are the best algae eating plecos and only get 6", and they take a while to grow.
Harls

Northernguy
11-30-2008, 12:41 AM
Bristlenose are the best algae eating plecos and only get 6", and they take a while to grow.
Harls
Agreed and here is more info on them:http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/catfish/breedingbristlenosed.php

Mustang Boy
11-30-2008, 07:00 PM
do BN pleco need wood in their diet cause if so i have a really nice peice of driftwood that i have been putting off preparing cause it is so large idk how im gonna boil it yet but if i have to ill do it and then rearrange my tank so it fits

then ill have to go buy more plants so that it looks good lol

ILuvMyGoldBarb
11-30-2008, 09:59 PM
The bristlenose only get to around 13" depends on the species.

There is also more then one veriety to choose from, the normal BN, the GBA (looks like a albino but with black/blue eyes), albino (golden yellow with pink eyes) or you could even try some peppermint pleacs.
Yup, however you are about 62 species short. The Ancistrus genus actually contains about 63 species, the Common and the Albino are simply the same species. There are some members of the Ancistrus genus that max out at 3-4"

I agree with The Red Sevrum here. For that size tank a school of 4-5 Otos are your best bet. They are still members of the Loricariid family and they do a magnificant job of eating algae.

Red
11-30-2008, 10:00 PM
depends on the species.

Yup, however you are about 62 species short. The Ancistrus genus actually contains about 63 species, the Common and the Albino are simply the same species.

That made me chuckle a little bit.. I would still go with a otos..

robnepper
12-01-2008, 12:47 AM
what about a Gastromyzon borneensis ( Hong Kong Pleco.)??

LORENZO
12-06-2008, 08:41 PM
:goldfish: :goldfish: Is there really a pitbull plec? must go look that one up. Albino bristle i am after. i have wanted one of those to put against some reddish substrate but i can never find them and when i do oh they re too small.

johnpeezy
12-20-2008, 09:25 AM
depends on the species.

Yup, however you are about 62 species short. The Ancistrus genus actually contains about 63 species, the Common and the Albino are simply the same species. There are some members of the Ancistrus genus that max out at 3-4"

I agree with The Red Sevrum here. For that size tank a school of 4-5 Otos are your best bet. They are still members of the Loricariid family and they do a magnificant job of eating algae.

you are correct, but left an important portion out some of the Ancistrus genus are celulose feeders (wood eatrers) and others are not. If you do not have any wood in your tank and want to avoid it then make sure your fish is correctly indetified.

I would just buy a piece of bog wood anyway......
and then I would buy another L204 to go with the three I already have

ILuvMyGoldBarb
12-20-2008, 11:33 AM
you are correct, but left an important portion out some of the Ancistrus genus are celulose feeders I left it out because it was not entirely relevant to the question that was posed. Had the need arisen to add it I would have. But you are very correct, the proper species must be chosen and the proper environment provided for that species.

sean
12-20-2008, 01:40 PM
Bulldog plecos get around 4-5 inches

fishbum
12-20-2008, 06:26 PM
I don't recommend adding livestock to help with an algae problem.
But in my experience,oto cats,and nerite snails are the best algae eaters there are for small tanks.Both stay small,and do not produce too much waste.