PDA

View Full Version : worms in tank

OwnerOfPhil
11-22-2008, 03:07 PM
I'm giving a betta to a friend for christmas so I got one early to see if it would be alright. It didn't eat for several days when I first got it, but it's eating now, and it's been a week so I decided to clean his bowl. I have gravel, a bamboo plant, and a cave decoration in a 2 gal bowl, and I was trying to clean it with a small siphon. I sucked out 50% but when I put more in the debrees in the water wouldn't settle and there are little white worms crawling on the side of the tank!!! this also happened in my other betta tank, that one had a little whisper filter and gravel. in that case the worms were crawling all over the sides and on the water's surface. I kept a snail in there for a little while and didn't have the worms (maybe it ate them?) but I really don't know what to do about this. I ended up cleaning the ENTIRE bowl and gravel with hot water to get the worms out but I was wondering if there's a better way to clean it and keep the worms out. I kept everything in the two betta tanks seperate from each other, so it didn't get it from there

Wild Turkey
11-22-2008, 03:12 PM
They are from over feeding, careful not overfeed. Anything that isnt eaten after 30 seconds or so remove. I tend to feed my tanks (not the bottom fish) with about tens seconds of food, wait til they are done and then repeat it twice more, this also helps them get all the food.

They are harmless, but unsightly. Vacuum ur gravel well and dont overfeed and they should go away.

The snail wasnt eating the worms, he was eating their food source (excess food)
Hope that helps, GL

OwnerOfPhil
11-22-2008, 03:18 PM
They are from over feeding, careful not overfeed. Anything that isnt eaten after 30 seconds or so remove. I tend to feed my tanks (not the bottom fish) with about tens seconds of food, wait til they are done and then repeat it twice more, this also helps them get all the food.

They are harmless, but unsightly. Vacuum ur gravel well and dont overfeed and they should go away.

The snail wasnt eating the worms, he was eating their food source (excess food)
Hope that helps, GL

the first couple of days it would just spit out it's food, so that's probrably what happened! the other tank has a sick fish with dropsey and it can't find the floating pellets for it's life so I feed it the flakes and half find there way to the gravel, it's nice to know that the worms won't hurt it. thanks for the help :)

Wild Turkey
11-22-2008, 03:57 PM
Np, whats ur maintenance like? water changes, etc? Sounds like the problems you are having could be due to not enough maintenance. Just a guess though more info will help.