PDA

View Full Version : For those who have been keeping fish a long time

lovleeko
11-22-2008, 03:05 AM
How long have you been keeping fish tanks? How far has tank equipment come? What piece of equipment has improved the most over time. Filters heaters, lights? I'm really interested in your opinions.

I have only been in the hobby for a few years. I had goldfish tanks when I was kid. They kept dying ???? Wonder why. The tank wasn't cycled it was a ten gallon and my mother and I knew nothing about fish. They had all the chance in the world to make it right? I'm just kidding guys. True story though. :(

Lady Hobbs
11-22-2008, 03:15 AM
Best thing that I know of is the python gravel and water changer!

Fishguy2727
11-22-2008, 03:18 AM
I have had tanks for about thirteen years now. Diet has improved a lot. Filters have too. I think the biggest changes are not in equipment but methods. Water change schedules, stopping the use of carbon and ammonia removing media, etc. The methods are what have come the farthest I think.

Algenco
11-22-2008, 03:32 AM
45 years, biggest change, the internet, makes so much info available.

cocoa_pleco
11-22-2008, 03:40 AM
ive had fish for about 16 years, filters for sure have come a long way

Northernguy
11-22-2008, 03:43 AM
I have had tanks for about thirteen years now. Diet has improved a lot. Filters have too. I think the biggest changes are not in equipment but methods. Water change schedules, stopping the use of carbon and ammonia removing media, etc. The methods are what have come the farthest I think.

I had tanks close to thirty years.Dam I feel old now!
I agree with what Fishguy says.Even some of the tank additives have improved ,some will argue this point on both sides I'm sure And that is Not my intention.
Lady Hobbs has it right with the Python as well.Whew!No more buckets.
Definately the internet.

AABatteries
11-22-2008, 04:07 AM
Been around fish for all 13 years of my life, and I've taken care of them for about 6 years. I'd have to say lighting has come pretty far. Such as metal hallides.

cocoa_pleco
11-22-2008, 04:12 AM
Been around fish for all 13 years of my life, and I've taken care of them for about 6 years. I'd have to say lighting has come pretty far. Such as metal hallides.

halides were actually made in the 60's, but i dont think they got popular in aquariums until corals were available, and full on reefs were possible which is the early 90's

only big think lighting has had are LED's which are just starting now

sanddigger
11-22-2008, 04:33 AM
Wow, just came on to see what's going on and this thread caught my eye. Been fishing for 39 years ( I know, ancient as the artifacts in most aquariums LOL), but the filters are first and formost IMO, then the python. Holding the filter tubes so they had a siphon, pumps, air filters for filtration etc. Glad to say those days are gone. Pythons are a dream. Thank you to the ones that have provided great filtration and easy WC's.:19:

Dave66
11-22-2008, 04:36 AM
I've been keeping aquariums since 1972. Largest advances have been in the science of aquariums; the general understanding of what makes aquariums work. Equipment and general knowledge has improved by leaps and bounds in the years since I started, making it now possible to have a thriving reef tank, a lush planted aquarium with Co2 injection; any aquarium the keeper desires is possible because of the availability of equipment that didn't exist when I started the hobby.

Dave

schoolbus
11-22-2008, 07:40 AM
The greatest advancement, (I'm very new to this) is this site.
I'm sure advancements have been made in: filtration, chemistry, etc.
Those that have been doing this for awhile may not know how much You help guys like Me.
Two months ago, I bought a 10g, and on my own (lost fish) suffered.
Now I've added a 5g, 20g 29g, I've lost no more fish, and my tanks are healthy.
I have pages of notes on starting a planted 50g. I figure it will take the better part of a year to get it running and supporting Tetras. Yes I'm a Tetra freak!
The greatest advance is all of you, helping all of us.

Thanks, Don

Wild Turkey
11-22-2008, 07:53 AM
10 or 12 years or so

Biggest by far is the internet as Al mentioned.

Filters are a big one too like cocoa said... i remember using box filters when i was young for goldfish.
However, thats mostly due to unavailability of information and equipment as mentioned by dave...which all goes back to the internet.
Lots of valid points on this thread, good question too.:19:

sueshewoman
11-22-2008, 10:37 AM
The greatest advancement, (I'm very new to this) is this site.
I'm sure advancements have been made in: filtration, chemistry, etc.
Those that have been doing this for awhile may not know how much You help guys like Me.
Two months ago, I bought a 10g, and on my own (lost fish) suffered.
Now I've added a 5g, 20g 29g, I've lost no more fish, and my tanks are healthy.
I have pages of notes on starting a planted 50g. I figure it will take the better part of a year to get it running and supporting Tetras. Yes I'm a Tetra freak!
The greatest advance is all of you, helping all of us.

Thanks, Don

:19: :19: schoolbus i have to agree after over 20yrs without a tank
got back into it just over 5months ago ,set up tank with 6 guppies then
turned to net for help wish i,d done it the other way round the help & support
i,v had from this site has been a god send .(THANKS ALL )oop,s sorry caps again i,m not yelling just trying to make it standout, love you all :laugh1blue: SUE

NickFish
11-22-2008, 12:58 PM
I've been in it....12 years.

Back in my day, we heated our fish tanks with an open flame, placed directly under the tank. I used to stay up all night throwing wood into the fire....then came the invention of propane! Boy were we happy.

Naw, I think what's come to furthest is the plant and coral care stuff. How we understand what makes plants and corals grow and flourish.

The internet is a big part of that too of course.

MrDrums
11-22-2008, 03:29 PM
Been keeping fish since the 80s.....I have been impressed with filter technology, the quality of LFS over the years, and I'll go with Lady Hobbs and say The Python is a HUGE deal. I don't think I discovered that one until the mid 90s, when I saw a friend using it.....oddly enough, this was a friend who I helped get started in the hobby! He now has far surpassed me in his knowledge (and number of tanks) of the hobby.

bushwhacker
11-22-2008, 05:05 PM
like most i started with a goldfish back in the 60s, lost em regularly. had no clue about cycles or water changes. in the mid 80s i had learned a little bit still didnt know it was called a cycle but i had learned to check ammonia and ph and doing water changes i kept a 55 gallon african tank and a cple 10 gal guppy tanks alive fast forward to about 3 years ago when i got back into fishkeeping and now i find this site and found out just how lucky i had been to even keep anything alive lol.... oh yeah thank god for the python

Lady Hobbs
11-22-2008, 05:23 PM
45 years, biggest change, the internet, makes so much info available.

I've only kept fish for 4 years so should have kept my nose out of this thread but I have to agree with you on the internet! Without it, I would probably still have my 10 gallon full of dead fish.

Algenco
11-22-2008, 06:30 PM
Well BI (before internet) we had to read extensively, interact with other fish keepers (hang out at the fish shop), to gather info on what worked.

When I first bred Angels (mid 70s) they were considered very difficult, now with all the info on the net most people can successfully breed about anything

NickFish
11-22-2008, 07:29 PM
Well BI (before internet) we had to read extensively, interact with other fish keepers (hang out at the fish shop), to gather info on what worked.

When I first bred Angels (mid 70s) they were considered very difficult, now with all the info on the net most people can successfully breed about anything

Wow, Algenco, never knew you were that old! :19:

Those were different times, no wonder the popularity of fish keeping has taken off lately. The internet is making it so much easier. I don't think keeping fish is like keeping any other pet. Theres so much more to it than just feeding them and cleaning up after them. You really need to know you're stuff.

Algenco
11-22-2008, 10:39 PM
Wow, Algenco, never knew you were that old! :19:

Those were different times, no wonder the popularity of fish keeping has taken off lately. The internet is making it so much easier. I don't think keeping fish is like keeping any other pet. Theres so much more to it than just feeding them and cleaning up after them. You really need to know you're stuff.

Well, my daughter made me a birthday cake 10 years ago that said "three days older than dirt"

NickFish
11-23-2008, 01:21 PM
Well, my daughter made me a birthday cake 10 years ago that said "three days older than dirt"

:19: :19: :19: :19:

That's a good one, I'll have to remember that for my dad's upcoming 50th.

Wild Turkey
11-23-2008, 04:17 PM

LOL thats terrible!