PDA

View Full Version : Red Rainbowfish - Glossolepis Incisus

mac
11-21-2008, 09:23 AM
Hi,
Has any one kept Red Rainbowfish - Glossolepis Incisus?

I was planing to keep 5 of these and 15 lake Kutubus in my new 100 gallon tank.

Can some one please give me their personal experience with these fish.

Cheers,
mac

Lady Hobbs
11-21-2008, 01:44 PM
I have the lake Kutubu bows (Melanotanenia Lacustris) and a pair right now in my breeding tank. I obviously want more of them. :) Neat fish and even more neat when the males flare that red/orange/yellow stripe on their head.

I don't think you need to get 15 of them tho. They get a 4-5 inches. I'd get 6 and breed more if you want more. Males are larger but nearly impossible to tell as youngen's.

mac
11-21-2008, 09:39 PM
I don't think you need to get 15 of them tho. They get a 4-5 inches. I'd get 6 and breed more if you want more. Males are larger but nearly impossible to tell as youngen's.

I was going to breed them. But with having Loaches in the tank, plus SAE' their is no chance of the young surviving.
Anyway I will still g 15, because they apparently look bette nd are ever more community orientated with their own species.

Wished I was aloud a second 100 gallon tank. But with that in mind where would it end?????

mac

Lady Hobbs
11-22-2008, 12:22 AM
When my splendids bred, I just put moss in the main tank and watched them spawn on the moss then pulled it out before they could eat the eggs. It doesn't work now tho as I have the bows all mixed together. I got a ton of babies out of that spawning, tho.

Dave66
11-22-2008, 12:39 AM
I keep 42 Glossolepis incisus, of which 18 are the six-inch males, in a planted 220 gallon. The males occasionally spare off over a choice group of females, but in the two years I've kept the fish, there's been no damage. They spawn weekly in the evenings during the winter months, and always scatter the eggs over fine-leaved plants.
The red rainbows are tanked with Melanotaenia praecox and Iriatherina werneri rainbows and a group of Botia histeronica. Water is pH 6.8, gh 5, 77 degrees.

Dave

mac
11-22-2008, 12:58 AM
Hi,
Well a update.

I will be able to breed the Irans and the Kutubus.

Not only will I be getting the 100 gallon tank, but I will also be getting 5-7 breeding tanks. So I can breed!!!!

Thanks for the hint Hobbs.

And thanks for your replay Dave. I will get the Irans.

mac