PDA

View Full Version : Is this a good filter?

Denorios
01-20-2007, 10:21 PM
I have a Whisper Power Filter 30, it came with my 29gl kit, but I'm wondering if I should upgrade to a better filter? Also it uses carbon, and I've heard that's not good for the tank?

blue fin
01-20-2007, 10:31 PM
I have a Whisper Power Filter 30, it came with my 29gl kit, but I'm wondering if I should upgrade to a better filter? Also it uses carbon, and I've heard that's not good for the tank?

Upgrade.. if you can't get a non-carbon cartridge for the Whisper I'd recommend a filter that has a removable carbon filter so you can have biologic and mechanical filtration without the carbon. It's not so much that the carbon is bad for it but it can remove components that are beneficial to your fish. It is good for removing meds when you are done medicating your fish though...

Good luck

Denorios
01-20-2007, 10:44 PM
well, the carbon is removable, and there is kind of a sponge thing as well. Should I just not put the carbon in and let the sponge do the filtration work?

Nautilus291
01-20-2007, 10:45 PM
I wouldnt exactly say upgrade. Buy you could add another filter. either add another filter or get a filter that is said to beable to handle 2 times your tank size.

blue fin
01-20-2007, 10:48 PM
the sponge is just a mechanical filter, it will hold some bacteria but some other form of filtration should be used, not to say it won't work but I wouldn't rely on just basic mechanical filtration for my fish. I have two stages of filtration in both of my filters, mechanical and biologic.. there are pieces that the bacteria can grow on and allow them to do their work. The other reason is if you need to replace the mechanical filter and you don't have another media in the filter you can set your cycle back a bit.

Nautilus291
01-20-2007, 10:53 PM
I suggest getting the marineland penguin biowheel filter. I have 2 of them on my 55g and they work great. One side of there media is a plastic cage which makes it easy to cut out the carbon.

Fishguy2727
01-21-2007, 01:35 AM
You can use the Bio-Bags without the carbon if you buy the economy packs. I would buy either a Whisper 60 or a Penguin 350. The Penguin has a Bio-Wheel, but the cartridges come as one piece and rather than destroy the expensive cartridges it would be cheaper to just make some using material from Wal-Mart. Either way that filter is not even close to enough, definite need for an upgrade. What types of fish are you planning? Any live plants?

Denorios
01-21-2007, 04:31 AM
What types of fish are you planning? Any live plants?

I'm not going to mess with live plants. My African Butterfly and Paradise Gourami are going back in once the tank has recycled. After that I haven't really decided. Some bottom feeders, something to eat algae off the walls, probably some Zebra danios since my wife likes them. But I haven't really decided. Stocking the tank is my favorite part so I'll take my time.