PDA

View Full Version : Any suggestions ??

priebjm
11-21-2008, 12:56 AM
I have a 55 gallon tank that has been up and running since February. I do not want too many fish and would like a suggestion for my next one. I currently have a maroon clown, a coral beauty, and a green chromis. They have been doing well for about 4 months now. What would you consider adding next ?

AABatteries
11-21-2008, 01:32 AM
I would get more chromis, figuring they are a schooling fish. So getting 3 or 4 would be good.

coachfraley
11-21-2008, 03:10 AM
I would get more chromis, figuring they are a schooling fish. So getting 3 or 4 would be good.

+1

I would also add a fish that lives in the sand like a yellow watchman goby, or a twinspot.

AABatteries
11-21-2008, 03:31 AM
That would make a great addition too.

ILuvMyGoldBarb
11-21-2008, 04:15 AM
Well, the problem you could run into is that you have one of the most aggressive species of Clownfish. I have known Maroons to kill of all their tank mates. I agree with the Chromis addition, just keep an eye on them. I started with a nice school of 6 in my 125 and the top fish in the pecking order managed to knock off the other 5 and then got lonely and stressed and died. One important question that will help determine the stocking level of your tank. How much Live Rock do you have and do you have any corals?

priebjm
11-21-2008, 12:23 PM
No live rock or corals

AABatteries
11-21-2008, 12:46 PM
Uhhhh... Get some live rock in your tank! You'll want about 1-2lbs per gallon.
You'd be fine with 55lbs but getting 75 or 80 lbs would be great.

ILuvMyGoldBarb
11-21-2008, 01:26 PM
No live rock or corals

I agree with AquaBison here, and if you are not going to get Live Rock, You want to keep the bioload of that tank to a minimum since the more fish you put in there the more difficult it will be to maintain it.

coachfraley
11-21-2008, 04:14 PM
Just wondering, what are you using for filtration?

priebjm
11-22-2008, 12:09 AM
Penguin 330 hang on filter--additional power head--protein skimmer.

I do have rock that has been in the tank for 7 months. Does it ever become live rock ? Is it necessary to have a full 50-60# of live rock ? I have been hesitant since the cured rock that I can buy locally and trust would cost me $500-$600. I am on a budget.

ILuvMyGoldBarb
11-22-2008, 12:18 AM
The rock that is in there will become live providing it is a good porous rock. What kind of rock is in there? If you can get your hands on dry rock that will help as well. If you get 50lbs of dry rock that translates into about 60-65 lbs of live rock. When you pay for cured live rock, there is a lot of water weight included in that total weight and price. With dry rock you get all rock and thus you get more of it. If you get the right stuff, 50lbs of dry rock will have a larger volume then 50lbs of cured live rock. Dry rock is a lot cheaper as well and you can add it to your tank without getting an ammonia spike. Dry rock usually sells for a $1-$2 per pound.
I understand doing a tank on a budget, I'm there right now. :) There is a sticky in this section called the Economical Environmental Reef, have a look at it, it may be of some use to you.

AABatteries
11-22-2008, 12:21 AM
If the rock you have is porous enough, you should be able to add 10lbs or so to seed the other rock.

priebjm
11-22-2008, 01:00 PM
Thanks, you guys are awesome. Where would I usually find "dry rock" for sale?

I will check out the section you recommended.

ILuvMyGoldBarb
11-22-2008, 01:07 PM
www.marcorocks.com is one site, you can also usually find someone in ebay selling it as well.

priebjm
11-22-2008, 01:28 PM
Thanks again. Great section on an economical aquarium.

So if I understand correctly, I would put 40-50# of dry rock in my tank. I would need some live rock to seed the dry. This method should have minimal effect on ammonia correct ? My ammonia,nitrite, and nitrate levels have been consistantly very good.

I will check out the website you suggested. Ebay and craigslist worry me when I'm talking about what I put in my tank.

travie
11-22-2008, 01:35 PM
Thanks again. Great section on an economical aquarium.

So if I understand correctly, I would put 40-50# of dry rock in my tank. I would need some live rock to seed the dry. This method should have minimal effect on ammonia correct ? My ammonia,nitrite, and nitrate levels have been consistantly very good.

I will check out the website you suggested. Ebay and craigslist worry me when I'm talking about what I put in my tank.

If you have livestock in the tank, you will not want to add ammonia, because it will most likely stress and possibly kill your livestock. If the rock is completely dry, it will seed from the bacteria that is already in the tank.

priebjm
11-22-2008, 01:40 PM
It looks like marcorocks still recommends cycling their dry rock. I have a 10 gallon tank that I am not using. If I put the dry rock in to it with a small amout of live rock and than monitored the cycle it seems I would be able to move the rock to my tank after cycling.

This seems like a muck smarter next step than adding another fish. Thanks for your help.

ILuvMyGoldBarb
11-22-2008, 01:50 PM
I used it, you can put it right in the tank. It is not necessary to cycle it first. I added it to my tank with fish already in the tank.

priebjm
11-22-2008, 02:30 PM
Last question............maybe.

If I do find live rock inexpensive enough, how do I know if it is safe for my tank. Would you suggest cycling it regardless ?

Dry rock seems a safer bet but perhaps harder to find locally. It would be great to save shipping costs. Thanks

priebjm
11-22-2008, 08:47 PM
I wanted to tell you guys that I lucked out today. A local shop that I have dealt with in the past is moving his operation and I happened to catch him in the move. He has been in the business for about 17 years and had quite abit of LR that he didn't necessarily want to move. He is selling for $5.50 a pound but took pity on me and sold me 30# of great looking rock for $100. I'm going to start with that and see how it goes. Thanks for all of your advice.

AABatteries
11-23-2008, 02:31 AM
You got a good deal.
:)