PDA

View Full Version : Good or bad?

Treerat
11-20-2008, 06:54 PM

What do you make of this? What the heck is it? It looked interesting and the LFS guy gave me a scoop for free and I put in my 75g FW tanks. It covered an area about 10 square inches. Over three days the area became smaller and smaller. The culprits, my SD's eating in up like skittles. It was all gone this morning. So, back to the LFS for alot more and I even added a pit to my Crabitarium for them to stalk under and play invisible. The pic of the 75g FW tank is the new batch and covers about 15 square inches. The monster swimming under it like something from Yoda's swamp is one of my Cuvier's Bichirs.
Do they reproduce fast? Anyone have experience with them?

Algenco
11-20-2008, 07:14 PM
duckweed, for most people it is a terrible nuisance, it muliplies quickly and is nearly impossible to get it all out.

Unless you have plant eating fish, they love it!!!

Treerat
11-20-2008, 07:37 PM
Sweet... Thanks for the info. I have plant eating fish so they can munch away.

Treerat
11-23-2008, 05:18 PM
For a nuisance plant it sure doesnt last long in my tanks. The SD's in my 75g FW eat it up again. The Angelfish helped, too, I'm sure. The fiddlercrabs ate their little crop up like a floating saladbar.
Are you sure they shouldnt be selling this stuff? Is it like catnip for fish? Fishnip? As long as the LFS keeps giving me handfulls for free on demand, I'm not going to complain.

Wild Turkey
11-23-2008, 05:29 PM
For a nuisance plant it sure doesnt last long in my tanks. The SD's in my 75g FW eat it up again. The Angelfish helped, too, I'm sure. The fiddlercrabs ate their little crop up like a floating saladbar.
Are you sure they shouldnt be selling this stuff? Is it like catnip for fish? Fishnip? As long as the LFS keeps giving me handfulls for free on demand, I'm not going to complain.

Good laugh at "fishnip":laugh1blue: . I wouldnt know ive always heard to steer clear of it honestly, but i dont have any fish that will eat it up at that speed.

DrNic
11-23-2008, 05:39 PM
Definitly some kind of duckweed. There are different varieties out there. I accidentally got that stuff in one of my tanks a while ago. Took me almost a year to get rid of it.

Algenco
11-23-2008, 06:06 PM
some people do sell it, just look on aquabid.
Goldfish and Mbuna love it too

korith
11-23-2008, 06:12 PM
I thought about duckweed a few times, but everywhere I read that it was tough to get out of the tank after. If your fish are eating it, I guess it works.

Minderella83
11-23-2008, 08:34 PM
what is the SD you are talking about, looked in abbreviations link but didnt find it?

Treerat
11-25-2008, 12:08 AM
what is the SD you are talking about, looked in abbreviations link but didnt find it?
SD's are Silver Dollars. Mine haven't met a plant they didnt like yet. If its green they will munch on it.

Gemini
11-25-2008, 12:17 AM
Duckweed is banned here in Qld....

smaug
11-25-2008, 12:23 AM
Why would it be so hard to get rid of?Its a floater and all you wold have to do is skim it off with a net.ive had it in the past and I assumed some of my fish ate it.

Algenco
11-25-2008, 01:12 AM
Why would it be so hard to get rid of?Its a floater and all you wold have to do is skim it off with a net.ive had it in the past and I assumed some of my fish ate it.

1 tiny piece missed and the next thing you know the surface is covered.
It took me about a week to get it out of a 55.
I have it in a couple of tanks, once a week I take out about a cup and feed it to the fish at the lfs

Treerat
11-25-2008, 07:06 PM
Well, all my Duckweed has been picked clean. Crabs love it, Angelfish, SDs love it. Even seen my Reedfish and Bichir's munching on it. A little fiber in their diet is good for them predators ;) ... Snail love it too.