PDA

View Full Version : Cherry Shrimp I got from Algenco

tort518
11-19-2008, 02:58 PM
I have to say I'm very happy with the progress of the ones I got from our esteemed Algenco.

The shrimp are doing well.

At present there are 4 confirmed berried females with an estimated dozen more with saddles.

I got to witness shrimp mating the other evening. One poor young female pursued and mated with by a cadre of young males. They were so anxious that in the group of them it was often difficult to find the poor girl.

The odd thing is that I couldn't see for certain if she had a saddle which is something I thought was required for her to be ready to mate. Maybe it was there, but if so it was pale.

Fascinating little critters these shrimp are.

In a month I should have quintuple my current population and a month after that it'll likely blow the lid off the tank!

I have a couple friends with aquariums that are interested in Cherry Shrimp who will be getting nice little holiday gifts. :)

Jim

teach
11-19-2008, 03:09 PM
Congrats cherry shrimp are real cool

angelcakes
11-19-2008, 03:56 PM
congrats...........:19: :19:

Algenco
11-19-2008, 03:58 PM
Glad to hear they're doing well, you'll have little shrimps soon:hmm3grin2orange:

tort518
11-19-2008, 04:23 PM
I might have to place an order for some additional moss in the near future.

I've aquired some nice branching driftwood I might tie moss to for a different tank, and I'm also thinking of taking a small tank into work with shrimp.

My multi-tank-syndrome is kicking in. :c3:

korith
11-19-2008, 07:30 PM
My population of shrimp went up by 30% or so this week. Seems like 3-4 of the berried ones all had eggs hatch in the last few days. At this point I really have no idea how many little guys there are in there.

Have you seen them shed yet? They sort of hunch over, then wiggle out, a very quick process. Pretty cool to see.

Wild Turkey
11-19-2008, 07:43 PM
Glad to hear they are doing well, yup getting them to multiply is usually no problem at all....well maybe a problem eventually lol

Northernguy
11-19-2008, 08:51 PM
I would love to see some pics!

korith
11-19-2008, 10:31 PM
Glad to hear they are doing well, yup getting them to multiply is usually no problem at all....well maybe a problem eventually lol

Nah, a 10g tank can hold a huge population!

Wild Turkey
11-19-2008, 10:57 PM
Nah, a 10g tank can hold a huge population!

Yup, a few hundred is fine, but they get there fast..you'll see hehe

I sold the mommies and daddies off when i sold my last batch to a friend cause i couldnt have them breeding anymore, he got like 100 shrimp for 10 dollars.

One day soon i'll have to restock and breed out some more.

Ellen4God
11-25-2008, 02:10 AM
Algenco's shrimp are the best!! Congrats on the little ones. They're fun to watch :)

They'll love the moss!

korith
11-25-2008, 07:44 AM
Yup, a few hundred is fine, but they get there fast..you'll see hehe

I sold the mommies and daddies off when i sold my last batch to a friend cause i couldnt have them breeding anymore, he got like 100 shrimp for 10 dollars.

One day soon i'll have to restock and breed out some more.

Had 3 berried rcs drop in last week or so, really hard to tell how many babies are in the tank now. You know I've actually sat in front of the tank trying to count them all. Think there are about 5 of them berried at the moment. Population will go thru the roof in a few weeks hehe.

tort518
11-27-2008, 05:00 PM
I've spotted some freshly hatched ones bopping about in the water colum and one hanging on the back glass eating some algea I allowed to grow there, and another one about 2 to 3 weeks old with very nice red coloration.

Looks like several more berried females as well. And I've witnessed a couple of more matings.

Jim